Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
deadpig1987hahaha
Forum Guests

The largest trade-book publisher

by deadpig1987hahaha Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:33 am

The largest trade-book publisher in the United States has announced the creation of a new digital imprint division, under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to be sold online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase.

(A) works to be sold online as either electronic books or
(B) works to sell them online, either as electronic books or
(C) works and it will sell them online as either electronic books or as
(D) works, and selling them online as either electronic books or as
(E) works, and it will sell them online either as electronic books or

The OA is A. It's easy to get the answer but I'm not familiar with the "to be sold" Usage.
would B be right if I change it to
"..., under which it will publish about 20 purely digital works to sell them online as either electronic books or downloadable copies that can be printed upon purchase."

I think "to do" normally acts as a adv to modify the whole clause but "to be sold" here seems like a adj to modify the noun "digital works".
I know "to be sold" here can't modify the verb because it isn't logically correct. (publisher can not be sold online as electronic books). But I want to know, grammatically, could " to + passive construction of verb" modify the verb? like in this sentence, despite the logic problem, could "to be sold" modify the whole clause?
deadpig1987hahaha
Forum Guests

Re: The largest trade-book publisher

by deadpig1987hahaha Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:35 am

and where did you go my dear instructors! I've waited 10 days to get my last reply...
we need you! Come back la. XDXD
tankobe
Prospective Students

by tankobe Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:27 am

deadpig1987hahaha Wrote:and where did you go my dear instructors! I've waited 10 days to get my last reply...

bump!

1# In laboratory rats, a low dose of aspirin usually suffices to block production of thromboxane, which is a substance to promote blood clotting, but does not seriously interfere with the production of prostacyclin, which prevents clotting.
2# works to be sold

Ron, you said substance to promote is wrong, because 'only' abstract noun can follow by infinitive---the way/effort/goal to do sth.
But here is a special example. is works to be sold right because of passive voice--if so, work to do.. will be wrong-- or for some other reasons?
stephen
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:34 pm

tankobe Wrote:
deadpig1987hahaha Wrote:and where did you go my dear instructors! I've waited 10 days to get my last reply...

bump!

1# In laboratory rats, a low dose of aspirin usually suffices to block production of thromboxane, which is a substance to promote blood clotting, but does not seriously interfere with the production of prostacyclin, which prevents clotting.
2# works to be sold

Ron, you said substance to promote is wrong, because 'only' abstract noun can follow by infinitive---the way/effort/goal to do sth.
But here is a special example. is works to be sold right because of passive voice--if so, work to do.. will be wrong-- or for some other reasons?

correct; this sort of modifier is exclusively for passive-voice constructions. nicely done.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:36 pm

deadpig1987hahaha Wrote:But I want to know, grammatically, could " to + passive construction of verb" modify the verb? like in this sentence, despite the logic problem, could "to be sold" modify the whole clause?

probably not. if you wanted to use "to be VERBed" to modify an entire clause, you'd be better off with "in order to be VERBed".