Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
JbhB682
Course Students

The manager froze and was unable to say anything WHEN he was

by JbhB682 Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Page 69 , Guide 8 - SC guide

The manager froze and was unable to say anything WHEN he was pushed to justify his decision; he eventually broke down in tears.

Hi - this is considered an acceptable sentence per the manhattan study guide

Question :

1) The blue is a modifier ..I know "When modifiers" modify noun events or time ...

Could you confirm the blue modifier is referring to the noun event in the underline ?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: The manager froze and was unable to say anything WHEN he was

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:13 am

The word 'when' can be used to introduce a noun modifier, for example 'There was a time when I was young.' However, it has other uses too, for example as a question word - 'When are you going to arrive?'. It can also be used as a conjunction, and that's what's happening here. Sure, you can see this as a kind of adverbial modifier, giving extra information about the time something happened. For example, in the sentence 'I screamed at 5pm', 'at 5pm' gives information about the time I screamed. I could just as well say 'I screamed when I saw a snake.' Here, the 'when...' clause is performing the same function as 'at 5pm.' - it's an adverbial modifier. That's the use in the sentence you quote above.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks Sage ...

I think what you are saying is that it's not a noun modifier but a subordinate conjunction in this case ..

Question : is there an acronym for subordinate conjunctions you keep in mind ?

I obviously know about FANBOY conjunctions but subordinate conjunctions are much larger
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:25 pm

No, I don't have a handy list - there are simply too many. How are your GMAT studies going? It looks like you're investing a lot of time in mastering GMAT. I would encourage you to ask a question in the General GMAT Strategy Questions folder about your approach to GMAT, your recent practice tests, and your progress in studying.