Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
noor_dalhousie
Students

Re: the usage of "Whose"

by noor_dalhousie Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi Ron

In this question, won't option A, i.e., "often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again" refer to Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer since they are the subjects of the sentence. I negated option A based on this logic. Please help.

Further, I really want tell you that you are an AWSOME guide!!... Always been a great help. :)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:01 am

noor_dalhousie Wrote:Hi Ron

In this question, won't option A, i.e., "often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again" refer to Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer since they are the subjects of the sentence. I negated option A based on this logic. Please help.

Not just those guys, but everyone else who is like them, too:
...the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again

Nonsense. According to this structure, we're talking about the kind of composer who ... does all three of these things.
The kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living? Sure.
The kind of composer who often goes into decline after death? Nonsense.

Further, I really want tell you that you are an AWSOME guide!!... Always been a great help. :)

Thanks.
Suapplle
Forum Guests

by Suapplle Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:16 am

Hi,Ron,I have one more questions,please clarify,thanks in advance ^_^~
I wonder that if the subject of decline is a person, the"decline" means "refute to accept" and if the subject is non-living, the "decline" means "go down"
so,can I guess that " composer declines in reputation" have the wrong meaning?"decline" here means "refuse to accept"?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:52 am

Suapplle Wrote:Hi,Ron,I have one more questions,please clarify,thanks in advance ^_^~
I wonder that if the subject of decline is a person, the"decline" means "refute to accept" and if the subject is non-living, the "decline" means "go down"
so,can I guess that " composer declines in reputation" have the wrong meaning?"decline" here means "refuse to accept"?

That's a valid way of looking at it, yes.
xiaolanjingheleaf
Forum Guests

by xiaolanjingheleaf Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:59 am

Hi, Ron.
In choice (C)but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status,

Is "whose reputation" the subject of "never regains its former status"?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 pm

Yes.
jackson.b.allan
Course Students

by jackson.b.allan Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 am

I am having issues understanding how C is the best answer.

I eliminated C on the basis that a reputation regaining a status is illogical.

Is 'regain' an active verb in this sentence? Suggesting that a reputation is an object that can gain, lose and regain a status.

I chose A, on the basis that the composer 'never regains popularity again'. To me the double-up issue with 'regain' and 'again' was less of an issue than 'whose reputation... never regains its former status'.

Frustrated and confused on this one. Please enlighten me as to where my thinking is wrong.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 am

jackson.b.allan Wrote:I am having issues understanding how C is the best answer.

I eliminated C on the basis that a reputation regaining a status is illogical.

Is 'regain' an active verb in this sentence? Suggesting that a reputation is an object that can gain, lose and regain a status.

I see what you're saying here, but choice A"”which talks about the kind of composer who often goes into decline after death (!!)"”is much, much worse. (This statement is either tautological"”we all decline after death, after all"”or absurd, depending on how you look at it. No matter what, bad. Very bad.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 am

Anyway, three things.

1/
Don't make these into absolute decisions (I like this or I don't like this). Make relative decisions.
I.e., if you are pondering choice C on its own merits, then I can see how you might find yourself in a quandary. On the other hand, if you are comparing choice C with choice A, then, while you might not find choice C perfect, you absolutely must acknowledge that A is far worse.

2/
The test is GMAC's playground. You can get mad at the problems... or you can learn from them.

3/
I'd side with GMAC on this one, anyway. To me, (s)he never regains his/her former status is nonsense unless the person in question is still alive.
After the person is dead, it makes better literal sense to say that the status is accorded to the person's legacy, reputation, or something else along those lines.

Again, at the end of the day, it's only important to note that choice A is much worse.
jackson.b.allan
Course Students

by jackson.b.allan Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:43 am

Thanks.

I think I have to focus on your point about not making absolute decisions. I really dug in my heels on that one and wouldn't budge for another answer.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 am

jackson.b.allan Wrote:Thanks.

I think I have to focus on your point about not making absolute decisions.

On SC, the answer choices are there to help you.

This is also the only reason why they bother to reproduce choice A"”to help you make relative decisions! Yes, they are actually trying to help you.
If the decisions were absolute, then there would be no value in reproducing choice A.
healthy312
Students

by healthy312 Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:09 am

Can anyone suggest what " its" mean ? its means reputation's ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:58 am

healthy312 Wrote:Can anyone suggest what " its" mean ? its means reputation's ?

yes.
ShriramC110
Students

by ShriramC110 Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:40 am

Hi Ron,

I choose option C on the basis that only that option provided two contrasting things (with the help of but),is my understanding correct.
Is contrast necessary here??
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:00 pm

ShriramC110 Wrote:Hi Ron,

I choose option C on the basis that only that option provided two contrasting things (with the help of but),is my understanding correct.
Is contrast necessary here??

this is a perceptive observation.

yes, there's certainly a contrast here. so, yes, there should be something to indicate it.
nicely done.