Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: The West Indian manatee, a distant relative

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:40 pm

ishanbhat455 Wrote:option B looks more like a weakener rather than a strengthener because it attacks the basis (i.e- conservation efforts) of the claim.

Let me know what you think about this perspective.

Thanks,
Ishan

This perspective is incorrect.

The argument explicitly makes its main claim despite the conservation efforts.
In other words, the argument is that the conservation efforts are being thwarted. So, "attacking the conservation efforts" works in favor of the argument, not against it.
swadha.r.21
Students

by swadha.r.21 Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:54 am

Hello all,

Doesn't the " overabundance of SAVE THE MANATEE! bumper stickers" convey that the motorboat users be weary of the mantees? I thought this was implied and hence went with option A.

Regards,
Swadha
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:48 am

That is a HUGE stretch! If I see a bunch of "baby on board" signs in cars, does that mean that all drivers on the road are extra cautious? It would be nice if the world worked that way, but I think you know that isn't true.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
swadha.r.21
Students

by swadha.r.21 Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:38 am

tim Wrote:That is a HUGE stretch! If I see a bunch of "baby on board" signs in cars, does that mean that all drivers on the road are extra cautious? It would be nice if the world worked that way, but I think you know that isn't true.

yes, sadly. :) thanks a lot for your input,Tim. Then again, there was the distinction of "several" v/s "all" that would hint that A would not be the right answer.
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:33 am

Yeah, you'll find that translating some of these options into something more familiar may help you with the logic. And those quantity words are super important too, as you pointed out.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
ishanbhat455 Wrote:option B looks more like a weakener rather than a strengthener because it attacks the basis (i.e- conservation efforts) of the claim.

Let me know what you think about this perspective.

Thanks,
Ishan

This perspective is incorrect.

The argument explicitly makes its main claim despite the conservation efforts.
In other words, the argument is that the conservation efforts are being thwarted. So, "attacking the conservation efforts" works in favor of the argument, not against it.

Hi Ron - i had a follow up on this point ...

The word "Despite" indicates that "The conservation efforts are not doing what they are supposed to do" ...

The goal is to strengthen hence find an answer that says ...yes the conservation efforts are indeed not doing anything to help out,

Choice B from my reading, has nothing to do with conservation efforts...its seems outside the scope of the "conservation efforts"

Hence how it "Strengthen" this argument when option has nothing to do with conservation efforts

Thank you !
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Don't get distracted by Ron's point about 'despite'. That shouldn't confuse the fact that the conclusion here is "none of these animals can be considered safe". We're looking for something to strengthen that conclusion, which is what answer B does.