Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
MridulG275
Students

This year more than 70%

by MridulG275 Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:33 am

Company Spokesperson: This year, more than 70% of the guests who stayed with us over the past summer are planning to return to our resorts for a summer vacation. Therefore, I believe that we are well-positioned for another strong and profitable quarter.

Industry Analyst: This is not necessarily true. Nearly three quarters of the company’s profits come from the attendance of its theme parks located at its major resorts, and it is not certain how this segment will perform this summer.

Which of the following statements, if true, would support the criticism of the Industry Analyst?
A)The company’s management possesses more accurate financial information than is accessible to industry analysts.
B)ents an independent investment firm, which is not affiliated with the company.
C)The company’s revenues and profits have more than doubled over the past 3 years.
D)Because of the seasonality in the vacation travel and theme park attendance, summer is the most important season for the firm’s operations, accounting for over half of the firm's annual profits.
E)The vast majority of guests who visit the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, usually during their first week of stay.

The OA is E.

However, i couldn't understand it completely.

Your explanation:

(E) CORRECT. This answer supports the claim of the industry analyst by demonstrating that the company is unlikely to generate substantial profits from the high number of returning guests. If the vacationers visiting the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, the high number of returning customers is unlikely to benefit the firm’s theme parks, which account for the vast majority of the company’s profits.

My understanding:

But from my understanding the choice only says that the majority of guests attend theme parks only once during their first week of stay.This once ambiguously refers to once every time in the first week of their visit when they come to the resort and doesn't necessarily mean that the returning customers visiting the resort won't visit the theme park in the coming summer.MAYBE that their visit to the theme park once every time they come to the the resort is sufficient for a strong quarter for the company.

Please clarify if i am missing something
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: This year more than 70%

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:27 am

I agree with you that it's somewhat ambiguous: does the "once" refer to "once per stay" or "once overall in their lives". I would argue that the second meaning prevails here; without any extra meaning, "once" just means "once". If we find ourselves thinking "but maybe it means this, or maybe it means that, or maybe aliens will invade" we're not using our time productively. It's not really worth getting too fanatical about this kind of point. GMAT will try to distract you with possible little ambiguities or imprecise statements. It's clear that answer E is more relevant than the other answers.