Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
Tadashi
Forum Guests

Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings

by Tadashi Mon May 26, 2014 3:29 am

Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

A.Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

B.Though Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

C.Saturn's main rings, when viewed from a distance, may appear to be smooth and continuous, though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.

D.When viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.

E.Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close, the main rings of Saturn may appear smooth and continuous when they are viewed from a distance.

My choice : B
OA: D

My question:
*I don't know why B is wrong here. Sorry, I totally can not understand the explanation: The placement of "when viewed up close" illogically suggests that the rings are composed of icy ringlets as a result of being viewed up close.

I think "when viewed up close" modifies S's main rings in B as in D.

**in OA, "closer viewing reveals them to be" seems awkward.
Want to know the use of the verb reveal in detail.

Can we say reveal sth. to be ?
Can we say reveal A B (A&B are both nouns)?
I only knows that some report/survey reveals + that + clause.

Please help me.

DOMO ARIGATO
Tadashi.
itsumania
Forum Guests

Re: Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings

by itsumania Mon May 26, 2014 4:17 am

I would say "when viewed up close" in (B) is a bit unclear, because the text doesn't clearly indicate what is being viewed up close.

The text "when viewed up close" can mean it's 'icy ringlets' that are viewed up close, when you want to say it's "Saturn's rings" that are viewed up close...

I may be wrong, but this is my 2 cents..
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri May 30, 2014 1:52 am

"When ___ed" (or "when ___ing") MUST describe the subject of the sentence.

Stephanie can't talk to her daughter while driving. "”> Stephanie can't do both of these things at once.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri May 30, 2014 1:53 am

On the other hand, the sentence does need revision; its current wording doesn't make sense.
It shouldn't say they are composed of xxxxx things when viewed up close. (They're composed of the same things regardless of whether someone is looking at them!)
Instead, it should say something like "They can be seen to be composed of xxxx things only when viewed up close."

I'll submit it for revision.
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Fri May 30, 2014 3:08 am

Now I understand !
Thanks !
Wish you have a nice weekend!
Tadashi
RonPurewal
Students