Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
manminder

Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings

by manminder Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:40 pm

hough viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.
Though Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.
Saturn's main rings, when viewed from a distance, may appear to be smooth and continuous, though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.
When viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.
Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close, the main rings of Saturn may appear smooth and continuous when they are viewed from a distance.

please explain what is wrong with B
jwinawer
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jwinawer Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 pm

A couple notes:

Please use the first several words of the question as the subject header. I changed the subject to meet this requirement. This makes it easier to search through messages.

I assume the answer is D, though I haven't seen this one before.

The main problem with the original (A) and also B, C, and E, is that the modifier placement bungles the meaning. The presumption is that Saturn's rings ARE a certain way. Viewing them from closer or further might change their appearance, but not their composition. In B, the modifier "when viewed up close" is linked to "they are in fact composed of ...." So, according to B, the rings are usually composed of one kind of thing, but when viewed up close the are composed of another kind of thing. This doesn't make sense. In D, the correct answer, it is clear that closer viewing affects the *appearance*, not the composition.