Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
BrandenF768
Course Students

Three friends rented a car for a week

by BrandenF768 Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:03 pm

Data Sufficiency Question

Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost equally. What was the total cost of renting the car?

(1) If the three friends had kept the car for a second week, they could have obtained the two-week rate, which was 1.5 times the cost of a one-week rental.

(2) If a fourth friend had joined the three friends and the cost had been divided equally among the four friends, the cost to each of the original three would have been reduced by $15.

[End of question]

My main issue was with statement (1), as I don't understand how the two week rental cost tells us anything about the one week rental cost, which is what we're trying to find. Please advise.
tim
Course Students

Re: Three friends rented a car for a week

by tim Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:01 pm

What's the problem? You seem to have accurately determined that statement 1 is insufficient, which is correct.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
BrandenF768
Course Students

by BrandenF768 Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:08 pm

tim Wrote:What's the problem? You seem to have accurately determined that statement 1 is insufficient, which is correct.

As exposed by my question above, I got this question incorrect because I read it incorrectly. Totally understand problem now. This happens too often :oops:
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:33 am

slow down!