Course Students

Re: To meet the rapidly rising market demand for fish and seafoo

by JbhB682 Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:20 pm

Hi Experts -

How can we be so sure that suppliers are
1) growing fish .....
2) cutting their feed ...
3) raising them on special diets ...

Are activities that have to be parallel to each other ?

I actually thought, the core was instead

Suppliers are
1) growing fish twice as fast ....
-------> 1a) cutting their feed ...
--------> 1b) raising them on special diets ...

I thought 1a) and 1b) should be playing the role of adverbial modifiers instead describing the result of 1) growing fish twice as fast

Aren't 1a) cutting their feed and 1b) raising them on special diets - Resulting in growing fish twice as fast ?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: To meet the rapidly rising market demand for fish and seafoo

by esledge Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:27 pm

JbhB682 Wrote:I thought 1a) and 1b) should be playing the role of adverbial modifiers instead describing the result of 1) growing fish twice as fast

Aren't 1a) cutting their feed and 1b) raising them on special diets - Resulting in growing fish twice as fast ?
Yes, I think that's what OA (D) does. If the original transcription of this problem is to be trusted, note that there's no comma before "and raising," which suggests that "cutting...and raising" is just a two-item list (of adverbial modifiers).

Edited to add: As for what is the "result" of what else, I think you could reverse the logic: by growing fish twice as fast, they are ready for market in half the time, and that causes the reduction in feed allotment. Grammatically, the adverbial modifier could work as the result. Since I'm not a fish expert, I have to just view this as a grammar question!
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT