Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Everything OR Nothing
Students

Transfer molding is a process ***

by Everything OR Nothing Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:39 am

Transfer molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; it is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys.
1.molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; it is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys
2.molding"”a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger, then injecting into a closed mold cavity"”is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail
3.molding"”a process in which superheated polymer resins compressed in a charger are then injected into a closed mold cavity"”it is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with walls of variable thickness and surfaces of fine dail
4.molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity, is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface dail
5.molding is a process involving the compression of superheated polymer resins in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; this process, which is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys

found this question in one of the MGMAT CAT.
I marked it as A but OA says D.
How can we be so sure (as explained) that "with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail" should modify (describe quality of) the panels of buses and trolleys rather than the plastic molding itself (as in option A)
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Transfer molding is a process ***

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:20 am

firozahmed.0056 Wrote:How can we be so sure (as explained) that "with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail" should modify (describe quality of) the panels of buses and trolleys rather than the plastic molding itself (as in option A)

That modifier does describe the plastic moldings.

For a construction similar to the correct answer here, check out #34 in the verbal OG supplement:
...visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off...
Here, "... that must be turned on and off" describes visible equipment.
"Such as lights" is tossed between those two parts, largely because there's nowhere else to put it.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 am

As for choice (A), the easiest problem to see is the lack of parallelism.
superheated, compressed, ... and then they are heated

You shouldn't have too much trouble recognizing the non-parallelism here. If you don't immediately see it, go back and study the basics of parallelism.

There is a modifier issue, but it doesn't involve the modifier you mentioned. The issue involves "such as the exterior panels...", which is not placed in a sensible location.
Everything OR Nothing
Students

by Everything OR Nothing Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks Ron. I can accept that choice A has Bad parallelism.
arrrrr. I mistyped my doubt.

Transfer molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then they are injected into a closed mold cavity; it is used to produce plastic moldings with variable wall thicknesses, as well as fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys.

If I tweak the choice 1 as below:

A.molding is a process in which polymer resins are superheated, compressed in a charger, and then injected into a closed mold cavity; this process is used to produce plastic moldings with (or having) variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys

D.molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity, is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail

Somehow to me ,in option D ,with..... sounds like depicting character of Panels and trolleys not moldings.

is there any difference between ,with and simple with (as in option A) ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:59 am

firozahmed.0056 Wrote:If I tweak the choice 1 as below:

Don't "tweak" GMAT SC questions.
Don't do it.
It's hard enough already to deal with the five choices that are actually there!

More importantly, when students "tweak" the sentences, the result is almost always wrong -- but usually for a reason that GMAC doesn't actually test. (The aspects of the English language that aren't tested in SC far outnumber the ones that are.)
So there's this awkward situation, in which the necessary response is "No, that's wrong, but you don't have to know why."

Your new version of choice (A) still has the same problematic placement of the same modifier.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:00 am

Somehow to me ,in option D ,with..... sounds like depicting character of Panels and trolleys not moldings.

OK, fine, lots of correct things "sound weird" to people. (By the way, I hope that you don't actually mean literal sound -- as in what your ears hear -- when you write "sound". If you are listening to the literal sound of the sentences, then SC is a lost cause.)

If that happens, don't waste your time questioning the correct answers. If you disagree with the correct answers, then, guess what -- they're right, and you're wrong.

Instead, figure out what you need to update about your understanding of the language.

Again, check out #34 in the OG verbal supplement, in which "such as xxxx" is thrown into the middle of another construction in exactly the same way as it is here.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:00 am

is there any difference between ,with and simple with (as in option A) ?

False distinction.
The comma has nothing to do with "with". Both commas belong to the modifier that comes between them ("such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys"). If you remove that modifier, both commas disappear along with it.

The same thing happens if you take "such as lights" out of the correct answer in verbal supplement #34.
Everything OR Nothing
Students

by Everything OR Nothing Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:55 am

Thanks alot for your prompt replies. You are my idol in the game called GMAT:)

well still I have one doubt :)

If I want to use such as to give example of only the Moldings that have variable thickness and have fine surface details NOT the moldings in general, how and where can I use such as in this sentence?
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:59 pm

firozahmed.0056 Wrote:Thanks alot for your prompt replies. You are my idol in the game called GMAT:)

well still I have one doubt :)

If I want to use such as to give example of only the Moldings that have variable thickness and have fine surface details NOT the moldings in general, how and where can I use such as in this sentence?

The same way you expressed your thought about which molding you wanted to specifically refer to:

Blah blah blah, such as the moldings that have variable thickness and have fine surface details, blah blah.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

by rustom.hakimiyan Sat May 17, 2014 10:21 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
firozahmed.0056 Wrote:How can we be so sure (as explained) that "with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface detail" should modify (describe quality of) the panels of buses and trolleys rather than the plastic molding itself (as in option A)

That modifier does describe the plastic moldings.

For a construction similar to the correct answer here, check out #34 in the verbal OG supplement:
...visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off...
Here, "... that must be turned on and off" describes visible equipment.
"Such as lights" is tossed between those two parts, largely because there's nowhere else to put it.

Hi Ron,

I realize that there are a few things wrong with C but i'm specifically interested in the parallelism part --

3.molding"”a process in which superheated polymer resins compressed in a charger are then injected into a closed mold cavity"”it is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with walls of variable thickness and surfaces of fine detail.

Is the part above supposed to be in parallel and is it? compressed vs. then injected? Are we supposed to count the "then" in the parallel structure? Doesn't the "then" throw it off?

4.molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity, is used to produce plastic moldings, such as the exterior panels of buses and trolleys, with variable wall thicknesses and fine surface dail

Same question as above - obviously it's correct b/c it's the OG choice but am I supposed to even look for parallelism here?Doesn't the "then" throw it off?

Thanks!
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:50 pm

You only look for parallelism when there is a parallel marker. The "then" in this case is not a parallel marker, but the "and" is.
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

by rustom.hakimiyan Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:55 pm

tim Wrote:You only look for parallelism when there is a parallel marker. The "then" in this case is not a parallel marker, but the "and" is.

Understood, but does the "then" not affect parallelism adversely? Meaning, in D:

"4.molding, a process in which superheated polymer resins are compressed in a charger and then injected into a closed mold cavity,"

Does the "then" break parallelism here?
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:56 am

No it doesn't. The "and" parallel marker can be followed by certain extraneous words that you should probably just consider part of the parallel marker. Examples would include "and then" or "and also".
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

by rustom.hakimiyan Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:50 pm

tim Wrote:No it doesn't. The "and" parallel marker can be followed by certain extraneous words that you should probably just consider part of the parallel marker. Examples would include "and then" or "and also".

Great. That helps a lot. I would rule out a lot of answers when I saw "and then" -- but this helps. Thanks!
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Glad to hear it!
Tim Sanders