Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
sudaif
Course Students

tricky Question!

by sudaif Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:54 am

Help!

Is the sum of integers a and b divisible by 7?
1. a is not divisible by 7
2. a-b is divisible by 7

a + b can be divisible by 7 in two scenarios
Either a and b are both multiples of 7, OR
both are non-multiples, such that when you sum the remainders from dividing each one by 7, they equal to 7.

statement 1) a is not divisible by 7. this doesn't tell us anything about b. insufficient.

statement 2) a - b is divisible by 7. We can conceptually think about this....either both are multiples or both are not. we can pick numbers and we quickly realize that just because a - b is divisible by 7, does NOT mean that a + b is also divisible by 7. Example: a = 17, b = 3 or a = 7, b = 7. Thus insufficient.

statement 1 + statement 2:
since a is not divisible by 7, then b must not be divisible by 7.
Now if we pick numbers, say a = 17, b = 3, a-b is divisible by 7 but a + b is not divisible by 7.

Also, statement above implies that the remainder from a/7 and the remainder from b/7 must have been equal...so that with a - b the remainders summed to zero.

How do I quickly check if there are ANY sets of numbers which will allow the difference and the sum to be divisible by 7.

OA is C
adiagr
Students

Re: tricky Question!

by adiagr Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:50 pm

sudaif Wrote:Help!

Is the sum of integers a and b divisible by 7?
1. a is not divisible by 7
2. a-b is divisible by 7

a + b can be divisible by 7 in two scenarios
Either a and b are both multiples of 7, OR
both are non-multiples, such that when you sum the remainders from dividing each one by 7, they equal to 7.

statement 1) a is not divisible by 7. this doesn't tell us anything about b. insufficient.

statement 2) a - b is divisible by 7. We can conceptually think about this....either both are multiples or both are not. we can pick numbers and we quickly realize that just because a - b is divisible by 7, does NOT mean that a + b is also divisible by 7. Example: a = 17, b = 3 or a = 7, b = 7. Thus insufficient.

statement 1 + statement 2:
since a is not divisible by 7, then b must not be divisible by 7.
Now if we pick numbers, say a = 17, b = 3, a-b is divisible by 7 but a + b is not divisible by 7.

Also, statement above implies that the remainder from a/7 and the remainder from b/7 must have been equal...so that with a - b the remainders summed to zero.

How do I quickly check if there are ANY sets of numbers which will allow the difference and the sum to be divisible by 7.

OA is C

Hi,

It is tricky!!

(1) by plugging in Nos.:

(a,b) = (8,1), (-9,-2), (18,4) (5,-2)

a-b in all above cases is divisible by 7 but not a+b

(Not conclusive I admit)

(2) Algebra:

a= 7q+r (r is less than 7 and not divisible by it) ...from (1)

a-b = 7k from (2)

thus b= (7q+r)-7k

= 7(q-k)+r

so b works out to be not divisible by 7.

a+b = (7q+r) + (7z+r) ......say z = q-k

will 2r be divisible by 7, by any chance?

only if r is a multiple of 7, which it is not.

so a+b will not be divisible by 7.

Let me admit In exam I would have gone for approach (1) and my intuition.

Any better approach pls.?
sudaif
Course Students

by sudaif Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 pm

yeah...actually i was thinking about it and realized that i was overlooking the effect of something that i had observed
if a - b is divisible by 7 then, a/7 and b/7 must produce remainders that are equal - b/c only then will (a-b) be divisible by 7. That is, the remainder from a/7 minus remainder from b/7 must equal zero.
however...
we know that there are no two SAME integers whose sum could equal 7. thus, a+b will NEVER be divisible by 7.
therefore, statement 1 + statement 2 --> sufficient.
its a bit tricky to explain...although the concept is v straight fwd.
mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:01 am

That's right sudaif. Notice that any odd number would work just as 7 does, since no odd number is equal to two times some remainder.
muktarashmi
Course Students

by muktarashmi Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:32 pm

if a - b is divisible by 7 then, a/7 and b/7 must produce remainders that are equal - b/c only then will (a-b) be divisible by 7. That is, the remainder from a/7 minus remainder from b/7 must equal zero.
....................................I still dont understand this concept.
How is that if a-b is divisble by 7 then a/7 & b/7 must have same remainder?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:13 pm

muktarashmi Wrote:How is that if a-b is divisble by 7 then a/7 & b/7 must have same remainder?

Let's test some numbers to make this more clear.

Let's pretend that a is 10. 10 is not divisible by 7; when I divide I get 1 remainder 3.

If I want (10 - b) to be divisible by 7, I have to say that b is 3. When 3 is divided by 7 I get 0 remainder 3.

Test out other b values of 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. None of them have a remainder of 3 when divided by 7, and none of them will fit the parameters of a-b is divisible by 7 if a is 10.

Notice that whatever remainder I get for a needs to be duplicated in b so that when I subtract b from a the remainder will be removed and I will be left with a multiple of 7.

Please write back if this is not more clear.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:49 am

sudaif Wrote:yeah...actually i was thinking about it and realized that i was overlooking the effect of something that i had observed

I totally understand this part
sudaif Wrote:however...
we know that there are no two SAME integers whose sum could equal 7. thus, a+b will NEVER be divisible by 7.

I don't completely get the above... can some1 please elaborate...
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 am

jp.jprasanna Wrote:
sudaif Wrote:yeah...actually i was thinking about it and realized that i was overlooking the effect of something that i had observed

I totally understand this part
sudaif Wrote:however...

I don't completely get the above... can some1 please elaborate...

Can you tell us more about what you don't understand? It sounds as if you do understand part of this statement. Thanks!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
NMencia09
Course Students

by NMencia09 Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 am

OA is C right?
la2ny
Course Students

by la2ny Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:47 pm

jnelson0612 Wrote:
muktarashmi Wrote:How is that if a-b is divisble by 7 then a/7 & b/7 must have same remainder?

Let's pretend that a is 10. 10 is not divisible by 7; when I divide I get 1 remainder 3.

If I want (10 - b) to be divisible by 7, I have to say that b is 3. When 3 is divided by 7 I get 0 remainder 3.

Test out other b values of 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. None of them have a remainder of 3 when divided by 7, and none of them will fit the parameters of a-b is divisible by 7 if a is 10.

Notice that whatever remainder I get for a needs to be duplicated in b so that when I subtract b from a the remainder will be removed and I will be left with a multiple of 7.

Jamie,

I understand the math, but what I'm not clear on is how we can determine divisibility of 7 by having equal remainders between the 2 terms (a - b). Maybe I'm just bogged down in this question too much, but I can't see this.

The problem makes more sense to me if I just see it as plugging in numbers.
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:39 pm

yes, OA is C..

when you take a-b you subtract the remainders. if a and b have equal remainders, then the remainder of a-b is 0, making it divisible by 7..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
krishnan.anju1987
Forum Guests

by krishnan.anju1987 Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:59 pm

la2ny Wrote:
jnelson0612 Wrote:

Jamie,

I understand the math, but what I'm not clear on is how we can determine divisibility of 7 by having equal remainders between the 2 terms (a - b). Maybe I'm just bogged down in this question too much, but I can't see this.

The problem makes more sense to me if I just see it as plugging in numbers.

Hi,

Here are my two cents on this. Hope it helps.

now, we understand that 1 and 2 are insufficient alone. Now let's consider the statements together.

1) says that a is not divisible by 7. Hence, lets take a=24, 28 or something. Now a-b is divisible by 7 which implies a-b will give a number divisible by 7. for e.g if a=24, then b could be 3, 10 or so, for a-b to be divisible by 7. Here if we note, all b does is remove the remainder obtained when a is divided by 7 from a. Since, a is not divisible by 7, a will be taking some value between x and x+7 where x is a random number. So a cannot be x and x+7. a could be x+1, x+2, x+3, x+4, x+5, x+6,. Based on b, b will have to remove this 1,2,3,4,5,6 from a(Note- it can also remove something like 10 from 24 which is 7+3 and hence a way to remove the extra 3 from a) Now , lets consider a+b. since b removes the extra number from 1 to make it divisible by 7, it can never add the complement of that factor to a to make it divisible by 7.

As an example, see below. It would be easier to understand the above explanation with this example.

For e.g, a=10, b=3 and its complement( The number required to be added to a to make it divisible by 7) would be c(b)=7-3 B cant be 3 and 4 at the same time and thus can never make a-b and a+b divisible by 7 at the same time.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

thanks!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html