Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
amb2512
Students

two sc problems

by amb2512 Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:23 pm

That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.
[*]That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants
[*]Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment
[*] Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check
[*]It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks
[*]The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees

Here the official answer is (C) . i agree that (c) is the best among the choices. But what does "it" refers to over here . I think "it" refers to the entire clause "all of their employees have a clean criminal record". But the rules says that It should refers to a noun.

Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating.
[*]Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating.
[*]Since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier, the Roman aqueduct of Segovia had been deteriorating, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations after the United Nations declared the aqueduct to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985.
[*]After being declared a Heritage of Humanity by the United Nations in 1985, the Spanish government began renovations on the Roman aqueduct of Segovia, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier.
[*]In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman Aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity and prompted the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier.
[*]In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia a Heritage of Humanity, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier.

The modifying phrase "After being declared...in 1985" incorrectly modifies the adjacent noun "Spanish government." It is not the "Spanish government" that was declared a Heritage of Humanity, but rather the "Roman aqueduct." Additionally, the modifying phrase "which had been deteriorating..." incorrectly modifies the immediately preceding noun, "Segovia." Again, it was not "Segovia" that had been deteriorating, but rather the "Roman aqueduct."

This is the explanation for why (C) is the wrong choice. I agree with the first part of the explanation. But i have a doubt in the second part. According to the explanation the modifying phrase "which had been deteriorating..." incorrectly modifies the immediately preceding noun, "Segovia." But i beleive the noun over here is Roman aqueduct of Segovia and not Segovia.

Can anyone pls clear my doubts...
cfaking
Students

Re: two sc problems

by cfaking Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:33 am

for the first one
that-every-worker-mgmat-cat-t5839.html

Stacey has explained

The pronoun "it" can refer to a specific noun in a sentence, or it can also serve as a "dummy" pronoun, without a clear referent. For example, if I say "it is raining outside," what is the "it" in that sentence referring to? The sky? Mother Nature? No... it just is... The pronoun "it" isn't referring to anything concrete in that instance. Instead, the pronoun is referring to some unknown, abstract state of being.

Really annoying, huh? So how to deal with this on the test? Ask yourself what kind of noun the "it" could refer to in the sentence. If there isn't a good answer (as there isn't to my "it is raining outside" sentence), then it's probably a dummy pronoun and you can ignore it.
Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working.
cfaking
Students

by cfaking Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:47 am

2nd one is participial modifier?

-ed + -ing combination to be followed

here it is declar-ed + promt-ing

nearly-2000-years-after-its-initial-construction-sc-t6702.html
Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:29 am

this is pretty much the ONLY exception to the idea that pronouns must stand for a well-defined referent.

if you have the construction "it is ADJ that..." (or some other form of this, such as "...to find it ADJ that..."), then the "it" doesn't have to stand for anything.
example:
it was shocking that he showed up on time.

in this construction, you MUST have the word "that" immediately following the adjective in question. if that's not there, then you cannot use this seemingly undefined "it".

the choice (c) here satisfies this requirement:
because they consider it important that...
there you go.