Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
ZHUOC614
Forum Guests

Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting

by ZHUOC614 Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:06 am

Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting Amendments Act in 1982, a first-time charge of copyright infringement was merely a misdemeanor charge, federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were subject to relatively small penalties.
A. charge, federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were
B. charge, with federal prosecutors who were unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, offenders being
C. charge, federal prosecutors unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were
D. charge; therefore, federal prosecutors were unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers and offenders being
E. charge; therefore, federal prosecutors were unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, and offenders were

source: GMAT prep

OA: E

hello instructors,

I actually picked the right answer , but I am rather confused by the usage of "with" in choice B.

Is it used correctly? what does "with..." modify?"charge" or "offenders"? Is it ambiguous?

In fact, I think the usage of "(comma) with" rather complex. Some times it modifies the noun preceding it, while some times it modifies the whole sentence preceding it or after the "with...comma" construction. Am I right? But I often have difficulty in figuring out what function does a "(comma) with" plays in a specific sentence. Could any one tell me how to distinguish them?

Thanks sincerely!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting

by RonPurewal Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:11 am

Is this problem from the free GMAT Prep software? If so, please post a screen shot. (Most of the freeware problems have been discussed extensively on the forum; it would be quite a surprise to find a completely new one.)

If this problem is from one of the paid question packs, then, unfortunately, we can't use it here.

Thanks.
HaoZ303
Forum Guests

by HaoZ303 Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:14 am

Hi Ron!
This is truly a prep question. And I have several questions about it.
1. Are A,B and C wrong mainly because the two modifier behind the comma should be parallel?
2. Are D wrong not only because the part before "and" is not parallel to that after "and", but also because the unidiomatic usage of unlike?
Thank you so much!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:07 am

HaoZ303 Wrote:Hi Ron!
This is truly a prep question. And I have several questions about it.
1. Are A,B and C wrong mainly because the two modifier behind the comma should be parallel?

"mainly" is not a thing; either something works or it doesn't. an error is an error.

the issue here is not just lack of parallelism; there are actually errors in those options.
• B has a modifier. that's nonsense, because those are two completely separate observations. (the fact that penalties were light does not modify [= describe] the prosecutors' general unwillingness to pursue offenders.)
• in A and C, "while" indicates contrast, but there's no contrast here.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:07 am

2. Are D wrong not only because the part before "and" is not parallel to that after "and", but also because the unidiomatic usage of unlike?
Thank you so much!

assuming you mean "unlikely" ...

this use of "unlikely" is nonsense in this context, but, in a different (and more appropriate) context, a similar construction could work.
e.g.,
Injuries are unlikely in javelin throwing, despite the public perception of the javelin as a dangerous implement.
--> "In (the sport of) javelin throwing, injuries are unlikely (= they are rare; they are uncommon).

this interpretation is clearly nonsense in the context here.
HaoZ303
Forum Guests

by HaoZ303 Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:37 am

My brain is much clearer after your analysis. Thanks Ron!
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:46 am

Good to hear!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:16 pm

HaoZ303 Wrote:My brain is much clearer after your analysis. Thanks Ron!

you're welcome.
Navneet
Students

by Navneet Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:21 am

Hi Ron
In option A, B, C - Is "federal prosecutors being unlikely in/to pursuing/pursue criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were xxx" modifying proceeding part - "xxx was merely a misdemeanor charge" ??

and if so
apart from wrong use of "while", do option A and C are wrong because of following ?
federal prosecutors (noun) + noun modifier - "being unlikely in/to xxxx" while xxx
here in "aaaa while bbbbb" construction, aaaa part is just noun and its modifier so do not make sense..
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:32 am

navneetojha88 Wrote:Hi Ron
In option A, B, C - Is "federal prosecutors being unlikely in/to pursuing/pursue criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were xxx" modifying proceeding part - "xxx was merely a misdemeanor charge" ??

with this construction as a modifier, the sentence doesn't make sense. (the prosecutors' priorities were a result of the legal status of the crime, but those priorities don't actually modify [= describe] that status.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:33 am

navneetojha88 Wrote:and if so
apart from wrong use of "while", do option A and C are wrong because of following ?
federal prosecutors (noun) + noun modifier - "being unlikely in/to xxxx" while xxx
here in "aaaa while bbbbb" construction, aaaa part is just noun and its modifier so do not make sense..

i'm sorry, but i can't tell what you are trying to ask here. please clarify, thanks.
charmanineW924
Prospective Students

by charmanineW924 Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:11 am

While indicates contrast and also means simultaneous. If “while ” is used in the sentence ,”while” should not only means “contrast” but also means “simultaneous”. Is it correct ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:22 pm

correct; 'while' should always connect 2 things that happen / are true in the same timeframe.
VincentT589
Students

by VincentT589 Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:44 am

Hi Ron,

May I ask if it is grammatically correct to say were subject instead of were subjected

Thanks!

Vincent
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 am

I think you mean your question in reverse, as all the answers contain the phrase "subject to". There is a slight difference of meaning between 'subject to' and 'subjected to', but it's a subtle nuance that I would never expect to be tested on GMAT. If you're interested, I found a discussion of the topic here:

https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... bjected-to