Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
omerfarooq.md
Students

usage of past participle for a same subject in the sentence

by omerfarooq.md Sun May 11, 2014 2:01 pm

This question appeared in myCAT

Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.

1.Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.

2.Although he had resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.

3.Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, had successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.

4.Although he had resisted the assignment, Lawrence of Arabia, who successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, was earlier known as T. E. Lawrence.

5.T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment.

i chose the answer 1. But my answer was wrong.(2. was the right one)
AS the subject is same we dont require a past participle "had".

Please clarify and correct me if i am wrong
tim
Course Students

Re: usage of past participle for a same subject in the sentence

by tim Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:43 pm

I'm not sure what your question is here. It sounds like you might be challenging the official answer, which I can assure you is correct. Regardless, it sounds like you've identified the issue in play here and presumably reading the solution helped do that. Please let us know if you have any further questions on this one.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html