Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
mayankmalik01
Students

Usage of WHICH modifier in one of theManhattan GMAT question

by mayankmalik01 Thu May 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi Ron,

I am a big fan of yours. I regularly Watch your sessions, Thursdays with Ron. And Thanks a ton for your great effort and passion.

I have a small doubt in WHICH modifier usage. I remember you said WHICH modifier cannot jump over entire modifier with commas in 25th Aug 2011 session.
And here is the Question You used as reference.

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets,most of them as large or larger than jupiter,which circle other stars.

But, I see in one of the one of the questions, Manhattan SC guide 4th edition- chapter 6 (modifier)- question 5(page 96), WHICH modifier jumps the entire modifier between the commas.
Here is the correct ans as given by manhattan SC guide:

Mary buys cookies made with Sugarfree, an artificial sweetener, which tastes as sweet as the corn syrup that her brother loves but which contains fewer calories than does an equivalent amount of corn syrup.

I have to 2 points to discuss :
1) the first WHICH( before TASTES) clearly modifies SUGARFREE.
So, this actually contradicts the rule that WHICH can't jump the modifier in between.
2) I don't know if the usage of second WHICH(before CONTAINS) is correct or not. According to me It is incorrect as It is modifying SUGARFREE but it is very far from WHICH and SUGARFREE should precede the WHICH modifier.

Ron, Please let me know if I am wrong somewhere. And Thanks again for your amazing sessions.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Usage of WHICH modifier in one of theManhattan GMAT question

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 10:44 am

GMAC has never allowed "which" to do something like this. Moreover, from the explanation for OG13 sentence correction problem #106, choice C, it seems clear that GMAC does not allow "which" to jump this kind of modifier.

GMAC has only used "which" to modify two kinds of things:
"- Noun
- Noun + preposition + noun
That's it.

I'll submit this for editing/removal. Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Usage of WHICH modifier in one of theManhattan GMAT question

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 10:45 am

By the way"”
If the sentence were rewritten as
...the artificial sweetener Sugarfree, which...
then it would be ok.