Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
JbhB682
Course Students

Useful tip

by JbhB682 Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi experts - I recently read on the Manhattan forum about this useful tip regarding negation during assumption questions specifically

The Negation Test

Don't think that the negation test is used to just make the conclusion independently not work. That is not the goal. The negation test is used to make it so that the conclusion does not follow from the premises. This is a big difference! We aren't exactly trying to find a negation to oppose the conclusion; we are trying to find a negation to oppose the link between the premises and the conclusion. I'll give you an example.

Link : https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/forums/q3-in-europe-schoolchildren-devote-t5536.html#p30154

I understand this is Manhattan LSAT but the LSAT does test assumption question as well.

I was thinking, if you experts used this tip on GMAT questions ?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Useful tip

by esledge Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:51 pm

Yes, we teach the Negation Test, but only for Assumption CR GMAT questions. (That is, it doesn’t apply on Strengthen, Weaken, Draw a Conclusion, etc.)

I personally use it a lot, though I find that it’s only efficient enough if you have eliminated 3 choices and are just deciding between the remaining 2 choices. You can have two choices that both strengthen (at least a bit), and the Negation Test does a great job revealing which one is just nice to have and which one is truly necessary.

You Negate to see which choice the argument can’t live without.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi Emily - thank you for responding

I should have been clearer (my mistake) - Am aware of the negation technique taught during the Manhattan course and I do try to use it during assumption questions only.

However, the tip below is regarding something to look out for AFTER you use the negation technique. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this FYI when negating

JbhB682 Wrote:
Disclaimer when using the Negation Test
Don't think that the negation test is used to just make the conclusion independently not work. That is not the goal. The negation test is used to make it so that the conclusion does not follow from the premises. This is a big difference! We aren't exactly trying to find a negation to oppose the conclusion; we are trying to find a negation to oppose the link between the premises and the conclusion.

Link to Mprep Blog : https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/forums/q3-in-europe-schoolchildren-devote-t5536.html#p30154

An example is

Manhattan students study hard. Therefore, they will get a top score.

Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the argument depends?

(A) At least one Manhattan student will get a top score.
(B) For at least one Manhattan student, studying hard is sufficient to getting a top score.

(negated A) No Manhattan student will get a top score = this would not be the right answer choice as it just goes against the conclusion and does not break the link between the premise and the conclusion specifically

It seems like,

When you negate an option
- if the negated answer choice just goes against the conclusion == THAT will not be an accurate answer
- if the negated answer choice does not allow the conclusion to flow from the premise == THAT is the accurate answer

I was just curious, if you have ever come across this nuanced difference when negating for GMAT CR questions

Thank you !
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:14 pm

JbhB682 Wrote:It seems like,

When you negate an option
- if the negated answer choice just goes against the conclusion == THAT will not be an accurate answer
- if the negated answer choice does not allow the conclusion to flow from the premise == THAT is the accurate answer

I was just curious, if you have ever come across this nuanced difference when negating for GMAT CR questions

I can't think of an official question that had a wrong answer with exactly this distinction. (One might exist, but if so, I'm sure it's uncommon.)

Here's a riff on the example you gave, in which my (C) addresses the conclusion and ignores the "study hard" premise in favor of something that sounds similar ("study materials").
Manhattan students study hard. Therefore, they will get a top score.

Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the argument depends?

(A) At least one Manhattan student will get a top score.
(B) For at least one Manhattan student, studying hard is sufficient to getting a top score.
(C) Getting a top score requires high-quality study materials.

Negate (C): Getting a top score does not necessarily require high-quality study materials; decent materials could be effective.
If so, the students could still get a top score and the conclusion can still hold. Don't need original (C) to be true.

I think you are more likely to run into the B/C decision than the A/B decision.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT