Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
JbhB682
Course Students

Re: Using new detection techniques, researchers have found trace

by JbhB682 Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi Sage - I wanted to follow up on C specifically to find out where my thinking is wrong because I can't eliminate option C on first pass (I guessed between C and E)

In my pre-thinking
-- Looking for a reason why the medicinal substances are bad for you (albeit in small quantities) in the water. Looking for something that is negative about these medicinal substances.

I think given the wording of C -- I gravitate towards this choice because

--My thoughts when I read C : Option C is saying that these medicinal substances do create undesirable side effects.

And this sort of matches why my pre-thinking description (look for something negative about medicinal substances ) and thus I struggle to eliminate C

Is my pre-thinking wrong to begin with ? (OR)

Is my interpretation of option C wrong perhaps ?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:16 am

The gap in your thinking seems to be that you're asking 'what's something undesirable about these substances?' rather than 'what's something undesirable about these substances when in trace amounts in our lakes and rivers?'. It's that all important moment of keeping your eye on the conclusion of the argument.

So what about the side effects of these substances when used as medication; the scientists are making an argument about cleaning up our lakes and rivers. As an aside, this is a very real-world problem. I've read some articles about antibiotic resistance that helped me anticipate the answer as I was reading the article. If you're a long-term GMAT student, I encourage you to read lots of non-fiction to help encourage your critical thinking.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi Experts - option C is wrong because we don't know if the medicines contain high % or low % of substances [ that is why I eliminated C]

My only question is if the following variation in C was given -- would this strengthen, experts ?

JbhB682 Wrote:Option C variant)

People who develop undesirable side effects when being treated with medicines containing trace amounts of substances have their treatment changed.

Would this variant in option C be a strengthener ?

My first reaction was, my C variant would be a strengthener

But my second reaction is

hmmm all this saying is people who develop side effects change their treatment. In option C, nor in my option C variant -- no where does it mention the trace amounts of substances specifically causes the side effects

So perhaps even in option C variant) I made up, option C variant probably does not strengthen.

Thoughts ?
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:01 pm

JbhB682 Wrote:
JbhB682 Wrote:Option C variant)

People who develop undesirable side effects when being treated with medicines containing trace amounts of substances have their treatment changed.

Would this variant in option C be a strengthener ?

My first reaction was, my C variant would be a strengthener

But my second reaction is

hmmm all this saying is people who develop side effects change their treatment. In option C, nor in my option C variant -- no where does it mention the trace amounts of substances specifically causes the side effects

So perhaps even in option C variant) I made up, option C variant probably does not strengthen.

Thoughts ?
I think your second reaction is right; this would still not strengthen the idea that "eliminating these trace amounts from the water will have public health benefits." Still missing from your (C) rewrite: (1) the public health (rather than just the health of people intentionally taking meds) and (2) trace amounts of medicine in water (rather than in medicines intentionally taken).
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT