Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
yo4561
Course Students

Verbal issues

by yo4561 Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:36 pm

Hello MP! I do not know if this question is too specific or broad. I took a MP GMAT course in the fall and already had the post exam assessment. It has been over a month since the post exam assessment, and my verbal score has not improved from my initial baseline CAT.

I started the course toward the end of August and finished in October. I then took the GMAT in November and have now studied for another month. My initial CAT (alongside other CATS I took in preparation for the official exam), official exam, and CAT I just took today all hover around a 34-36 Verbal score.

I was told that I need to work on inference questions, but clearly there is something wrong here to remain so stagnant beyond inference questions. In your experience, what may be preventing me from staying in the mid 30s score range? I do not feel that timing is an issue, although I do finish too early sometimes. I am a native speaker and have been following Manhattan Prep's verbal strategy guides religiously. I have notes for each section and then apply what I learn to timed OG sets. This may be tough to answer, but is there any general advice for someone who is stuck in the mid 30s for so long? I am feeling very demotivated over this and was hoping that after the course I would at least see some movement. The post course assessment teacher seemed optimistic that I could crack it, but if you have hovered at this score for so long and have been following MP's advice, is there anywhere to go from here? It would be a dream to score at least a 39 on verbal :)
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Verbal issues

by esledge Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Hi there!

First of all, it sounds like you have been taking many of the steps I would recommend: assessment (official/practice), discussion/analysis (PEA), and study/practice (notes on Strategy Guides and applying that to practice problems).

Second, it is very normal to experience periods of score stagnation, even as growth is happening at the content/problem level.

Just some thoughts:
(1) You don't mention what your review process is for practice questions. I've seen a lot of your posts, so I know you are doing review, but what's that like? Are you reviewing every problem, or just ones you weren't sure about? What kind of notes or spreadsheet are you keeping as you do your review?

(2) At this stage, you are probably best served by only doing practice problems and practice tests. Any more time in the Strategy Guides is redundant, unless you really need to look up something specific after doing practice problems.

(3) It might be time to reassess what the top 3 opportunities are now. As of your PEA a month ago, it was Inference questions (any others?), but that may have shifted. You took a practice test today, so sleep on it, then do a detailed review tomorrow (also, run the Assessment Reports on it) and see what stands out.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
yo4561
Course Students

by yo4561 Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Hi Emily! Thank you for your response. Yes, you have been a wonderful pen pal. Thank you for all of your help :)

I am reviewing problems, but I still think I may be struggling content wise if I am still in the mid thirties. I am going to try to review wrong answers more thoroughly/frequently. I am not sure what else I can do, but I will keep reviewing and hopefully will see some movement.
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:36 pm

You are very welcome! Here are a few blog posts that detail how to review at both the question level and the practice-test level:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/how-to-review-gmat-practice-questions/
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/getting-past-a-gmat-score-plateau/
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/analyze-gmat-practice-tests-part-1/
^This last one is the first of a 4-part series. Keep us posted!
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT