Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
NourA789
Forum Guests

Verbal - Modifiers

by NourA789 Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:49 am

After reviewing some of the class notes on modifiers as well as studying the content from Ch 4 modifiers - all verbal guide, I am still confused about the use of where and when modifiers.
In both the class notes and interact lesson too, where and when are more discussed under the "noun modifiers" section. They are part of the peanut butter list I recall (noun followed by (who-which-whose-where-when), followed by noun description.

Yet, in the book they are referred to as they can be both noun or adverbial modifier. I would like to understand if we need to classify if it's a noun or adverbial modifier in the case of using where and when for the GMAT prep. I provide examples below if you can help me figure out how to know if they are noun or adverbial modifiers.

1- Example all verbal page 56,
The three-century span of the renaissance, a period when artists such as Leonardo da Vince and Michelangelo thrived, marked the European transition from the middle ages to modern times. (when is a noun modifier modifying "period" ?).

2- Random example: I graduated last year, when the market was still suffering from the financial crisis. (when is a noun modifier modifying "last year" ?).

3- Example all verbal page 62,
The manager froze and was unable to talk when he was pushed to justify his decision; he eventually broke down in tears (is when an adverbial modifier here? if yes it's modifying which clause?)

4- Can I have examples to notice the use of "where" as well as a noun and adverbial modifier?

I also notice the use of dashes in some SC questions. I don't recall this part being covered though anywhere in the course. Do you mind letting me know what I should know about them?

thanks
Nour
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Verbal - Modifiers

by StaceyKoprince Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:48 pm

Good questions! First, where and when are not super-commonly tested on the GMAT (where is tested perhaps a little more than when, but neither is especially frequent).

I've also never seen an official question that forces us to make the distinction—is this a noun or adverbial modifier. So you don't need to worry about that for this test, but I'll still give some pointers below in case you're interested for your own writing. :D

Separately, some sentences do use dashes, but this is also fairly rare. You can find more material on this (and other rare / hard stuff) in the All the Verbal Companion ebook. It's located in your student center on the same page that you can download the main All the Verbal ebook—just look for the longer title with the word Companion at the end.

Back to where and when. If you only care about this test, you don't have to keep reading—just know that they really don't test the noun vs. adverbial aspect of these particular words and go study something else. But if you want to learn about this for yourself, keep reading!

Your examples:
(1) The three-century span of the renaissance, a period when artists such as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo thrived, marked the European transition from the middle ages to modern times. (when is a noun modifier modifying "period" ?).

Yes, a noun mod modifying period.

(2) Random example: I graduated last year, when the market was still suffering from the financial crisis. (when is a noun modifier modifying "last year" ?).

This is why (in my opinion) they don't test whether these are noun or adverbial modifiers. You could argue this one either way. Last year (noun) is when the market was suffering. It's also the case that the entire action (I graduated last year) occurred when the market was suffering. So is that noun or adverbial? They both work 100% (even including placement of the words)...so it doesn't really matter. At least, it doesn't matter on the GMAT, which isn't actually testing you on whether you know enough grammar to be a grammar teacher. :)

(3) The manager froze and was unable to talk when he was pushed to justify his decision; he eventually broke down in tears (is when an adverbial modifier here? if yes it's modifying which clause?)

Yes, an adverbial mod, and it's modifying the clause to which it is attached (manager froze and was unable to talk). A modifier can't "jump across" a semicolon.

The city where she lives has just been selected to host the Olympics
--> noun mod (where she lives) modifying city

This map indicates where the shipwreck lies.
--> adverbial mod (where the shipwreck lies) modifying indicates

If you are in doubt, in general, look at what word is just before the modifier. If it's a noun and that noun makes sense as the reference for those words (in the modifier), then go ahead and classify it as a noun modifier. If it's a verb, then it's an adverbial modifier. If a comma is right before the word where, it can often go either way (similar to your example #2 above).

Again, this is just for your own knowledge and could help you to learn to write in these more complex ways yourself. You really don't need to know this level of detail for the GMAT, though!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep