Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
Babun

Verbal Prep

by Babun Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:26 pm

I appeared GMAT on 6th jul and got a bad score of 570(Q 47,V22).My preparation was not good ;Maths no preparation but I prepared well with English part.But I screwed up.

I am planning to take GMAT after 1 month but how would I know what went wrong in exam.next time I don't want to fail in english.How can I make sure I get atleast 36 in English...any suggestions? will OG Verbal do?
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm

Babun,

It is impossible to guarantee a particular score on the GMAT, but you can definitely take certain steps to improve the chances of reaching your goal. I am not certain which materials you utilized to prepare for your exam, so I will speak broadly. Simply increasing the quantity of practice problems that you attempt is an exercise in futility unless you can understand why your original approach was incorrect and how to correctly answer similar problem types in the future. Thus, The OG is important, but only after you have clear and thorough understanding of how to approach each problem type. Moreover, it is vital to allocate significant time and energy to the review of each problem. Be certain to analyze why you initially answered incorrectly, what rule or principle the problem is testing, and why the credited response is better than your chosen answer.

Finally, if you truly desire to master the verbal section, it can also be beneficial to deduce/state why each alternative answer choice is "less correct" than the credited response. By recognizing all potential patterns of incorrect answer choices (attractive disctactors) you will be better prepared to utilize an accurate and efficient process of elimination throughout the GMAT.

Remember, acing the verbal is not about find the correct answer; instead, it is about finding the best answer available. By recognizing patterns of incorrect answer choices and utilizing a consistent approach to each problem type you can greatly enhance the chances of answering each question correctly.

Hope that helps!
-dan