Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Jimmy

Verbal Score All Over The Place

by Jimmy Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:27 pm

I just don't understand....I've taken the Manhattan course...study for months..close to a year and my verbal score is all over the place.

I score consistently a 38 for a while and then drop back down a 33 on this latest GMATPrep. I just don't know what to do. I'd love to get my verbal above 38, but at this point I'm not even sure I can keep it above 33.

I going for a 700, but definitely not at this rate. Any advice? Sometimes I get only 2 SC wrong and its my best area, other times I'll get 9 SCs wrong and its my worst.
Grumppee

verbal

by Grumppee Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Heyyy,

I feel your pain and I just took my 6th practice mgmat and got my lowest verbal ever. My verbal scores were 31, 31, 31, 34, 35, 29. Not sure what to do, originally, I was aiming at 40 but now I don't know. And although my math score is in the 40's range....not sure I can get to a 650+ without my verbal score being on par.

Would you want to share some ideas? I'm a pro at RC and easy SC. I tend to plummet when I enter the 700-800 SC and CR questions. That...i did feel myself go towards the end of the section. I also got 2 long RCs in a row, that was painful. my email is oscar.oscar@gmail.com

keep your head up. i know it sux but im there too.

-Oscar
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:16 pm

First, I think it's great to study with others - definitely take advantage of that opportunity!

Second, you need to review your tests and figure out exactly WHY you are getting various questions wrong (and this goes for everything, not just whatever's giving you the most trouble). If you don't know why you got something wrong, you can't do anything about fixing that problem.

Start an error log and write down problem name / number, source and these three pieces of info:
1) what you did incorrectly
2) WHY you did it incorrectly (didn't know the info? knew it but fell into a trap? knew it but made a careless mistake? misread something? etc.)
3) what you could do differently or what habit you could put in place to minimize the chance that you make the same type of error again

If you struggle with #3, come back on here and ask for advice - but you are going to have to tell us #1 and #2 in order for us to help you figure out #3.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep