Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
vishalc581
Students

Verbs that express general states

by vishalc581 Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:58 am

Hi,

Can you please throw some light on below point, which I read from MGMAT SC guide.

Verbs that express general states do not normally take progressive forms. Such State Verbs include know
or signify.

Are there any other verbs apart from know or signify that express state (what does this mean EXPRESS state :roll: )
Thanks & Regards,
Vishal
vishalc581
Students

Re: Verbs that express general states

by vishalc581 Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Team,

Can you please explain this.
Thanks & Regards,
Vishal
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:20 pm

You're focusing too much on abstract terms here. If you have specific examples you want to ask us about, we'll be glad to help. If you can't find specific examples, then there is no reason to believe you'll need to know this point for the GMAT.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
UtkarshS279
Students

by UtkarshS279 Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Hello Tim,

In the strategy guide it is mentioned that verbs such as 'know' or 'signify' that express general states cannot take progressive forms.
While that is clear to me, how do I consider the word 'knowing' in the following example-

"The secret of a good delivery lies in knowing a batter's weaknesses."

Here, is 'knowing' in gerund form as an object of preposition?

BR,
Utkarsh
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:13 pm

There is generally no value in being able to attach a label to a specific thing you see in a sentence.

Where did you find that rule in the strategy guide BTW?
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
UtkarshS279
Students

by UtkarshS279 Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:33 pm

tim Wrote:There is generally no value in being able to attach a label to a specific thing you see in a sentence.

Where did you find that rule in the strategy guide BTW?

Hi Tim,

The rule is mentioned in the chapter 'Pronouns and Verbs:extra' under 'Progressive tenses'.
It says that Verbs that express general states (such as know or signify) normally do not take progressive forms.

My question is how to account for a statement including either of these two words in an 'ing' form. In a sentence such as, effective persuasion relies heavily on knowing a person's wishes, the -ing form seems ok.

Thanks,
Utkarsh
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:45 pm

What you're dealing with is not a progressive verb. But more importantly, PLEASE do not ever read something that says "normally do not" and mentally replace it with "cannot", as you have done here (read your two posts carefully).
Tim Sanders

UtkarshS279
Students

by UtkarshS279 Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:11 am

tim Wrote:What you're dealing with is not a progressive verb. But more importantly, PLEASE do not ever read something that says "normally do not" and mentally replace it with "cannot", as you have done here (read your two posts carefully).

Hi Tim,

I realized the mistake you pointed out. I was indeed treating a guideline as a hard-set rule, and hence modified it in the second post.

However, my confusion still persists; are there any special cases in which I can expect this specific rule/guideline to not follow?

Thanks,
Utkarsh
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:59 am

Have you found any cases where this happens in GMAT problems? This may not even be something the GMAT tests, and if it isn't, you are better off spending your time studying things that will have a greater payoff.
Tim Sanders