Share your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions regarding your ManhattanGMAT course and curriculum.
ii-london

Welcome self study guide - Page 9

by ii-london Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi there, I have just purchased the Self Study Guide Plus package, and was going through the welcome self study guide. I noticed the following page 9 (Structure and Content of GMAT...)

This page mentions that there are 2 optional breaks of 10 minutes each, whereas the information provided in the OG guides specifies 2 optional breaks of 5 minutes each.
I am assuming that the OG guides are correct, and your document contains the mistake.

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:09 am

I know this question was written a few months ago, but just in case anyone reads it and is still wondering about the breaks, here goes:

The Official Guide seems to be wrong. There are, indeed, two 10-minute breaks during the test. Here's some information from mba.com:

Analytical Writing Assessment

The GMAT exam begins with the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA). The AWA consists of two separate writing tasks"”Analysis of an Issue and Analysis of an Argument. You are allowed 30 minutes to complete each one.

Quantitative Section

Following an optional ten-minute break, you begin the Quantitative Section of the GMAT exam. This section contains 37 multiple-choice questions of two question types"”Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving. You are allowed a maximum of 75 minutes to complete the entire section.

Verbal Section

After a second optional ten-minute break, you begin the Verbal Section of the GMAT exam. This section contains 41 multiple choice questions of three question types"”Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and Sentence Correction. You are allowed a maximum of 75 minutes to complete the entire section.