Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
tim
Course Students

Re: What Appears and Appear

by tim Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:36 am

I certainly wouldn't use "appears was", but you should notice that that construction also creates a parallelism problem in C.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
abhinavsingh.iitr
Students

by abhinavsingh.iitr Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:50 am

Hi Ron,

In the question , " from what appears " is in the correct option. My question is very fundamental. " what " is object of preposition " from ". Then how can it be the subject of the verb " appears " at the same time. Please explain.
abhinavsingh.iitr
Students

by abhinavsingh.iitr Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:03 am

abhinavsingh.iitr Wrote:Hi Ron,

In the question , " from what appears " is in the correct option. My question is very fundamental. " what " is object of preposition " from ". Then how can it be the subject of the verb " appears " at the same time. Please explain.

Ron,

Please reply.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:38 am

you should just know that "what VERBs..." plays the role of a noun. it can be inserted in most places where a noun can be used.

e.g.,
A storm is approaching the Atlantic coast.
What appears to be a hurricane is approaching the Atlantic coast.

Jonny donated several thousand dollars to a fake charity.
Jonny donated several thousand dollars to what appeared to be a genuine charity, but was in fact a criminal enterprise.
abhinavsingh.iitr
Students

by abhinavsingh.iitr Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:03 am

Thank you Ron. It helped to get over the confusion.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:30 am

you're welcome.
aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:21 am

tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:49 pm

Couldn't have said it more concisely myself.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
NicoleT643
Students

by NicoleT643 Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:39 am

Hi Ron, the usage "it appears", can it be a modifier that is inserted in the the sentence? For example:

this picture shows a bacterium that(,) scientists say(,) lives in hydrothermal vents under the ocean. 

AB are wrong with other reasons, however the usage of it appears can it be the same usage as the sentence above? thank you
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:23 am

yes, exactly.
souvik1225
Course Students

by souvik1225 Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:25 am

If we put the correct answer choice (D) in the sentence, it creates this sentence.

Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence that human ancestors who systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

If we are to use "stunning" as an adjective so that the entire clause after the comma becomes an appositive modifier, don't we need an indefinite article to start that clause? Otherwise, it looks like an ING clause that ends up meaning that researchers (the subject of the preceding clause) has stunned evidence that XXX.

I know I am not supposed to edit GMAT officially correct answers, but I thought that the sentence should have been

Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, a stunning evidence that human ancestors who systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:14 am

souvik1225 Wrote:Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence that human ancestors who systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

^^ that red "it" isn't there. check that answer choice again. (with that word in it, the sentence is nonsense.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:14 am

Otherwise, it looks like an ING clause that ends up meaning that researchers (the subject of the preceding clause) has stunned evidence that XXX.

^^ ...ok, but that interpretation is clearly nonsense, so, ignore it.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:16 am

I know I am not supposed to edit GMAT officially correct answers, but I thought that the sentence should have been

Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, a stunning evidence that human ancestors who systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

...no. you don't have "an evidence"... you just have evidence.

for nouns that aren't countable, you don't use "a"/"an".
• Tim is bald, but his brother still has hair. (if you wrote "has a hair", that would mean tim's brother has exactly 1 hair left on his head.)
• To eat this food, I need silverware. (clearly you can't say "a silverware")
• I bought leather with which to sew handbags. (...not "a leather")
etc.