If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
Ishach

What GMAT score do i need to be competitive?

by Ishach Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi,

I know this is a very common question; but I want to attend a top 10 business program and i would really like to know what GMAT score i would need to make my application competitive?

Work Experience:
Current: Top Investment Bank (3 years) - Asset Management. I work hedge fund strategies and portfolio analysis.
Prior: Start up Software Company (3 years) - Involved in Corporate strategy; acquisitions; and process improvement.

Education:
Stevens Institute of Technology: Business and Tech: GPA: 3.75

Extracurricular:
Volunteer with the Share and Care foundation which provides money to low income areas in India in an educational capacity (3 years)

My main goal is to figure out what i need to do to stand out and at the very least be competitive at the top schools.

Thanks a lot for your help.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:52 pm

With GMAT scores, a high score won't get you in, but a low score can keep you out.

So in your case, getting at least a 660 (the middle 80% scores of admitted students is pretty consistent from one top school to the next -- it's around 660 - 760) will allow you to tread water.

From there, it comes down to everything else -- your essays and interview. In your case, so long as your GMAT is in range, there's nothing in your profile that will cause an adcom to ding you, but there's nothing really compelling either on the surface that allows you to distinguish yourself (i.e. you're a middle-of-the-road kind of guy for a top school). So the only way you can maximize your chances is by making sure your application is well executed, and hoping that you also have a little luck on your side.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
Ishach

Re

by Ishach Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:36 pm

Alex,

Thanks for your reply. What do you suggest I do to make myself unique, I have a year or so before I begin applying and I can try and put together a good story? I mean I won't be winning any Nobel Prizes anytime soon though it seems you have to, to make yourself stand out at these top schools.

If I do get in the range, do you even think it worthwhile to apply to the Harvards and Whartons of the world or focus on lower tier schools?

Thanks a lot,
MBAApply

by MBAApply Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 pm

If you can't make yourself unique for your own fulfillment, then what makes you think you can do it for the adcoms? Trying to be unique for others is window dressing, and you'll be fooling no one.

As for how to be accomplished and unique for your own sake, that is something you need to figure out on your own.

If this is too philosophical for you, keep in mind that it's because your mentality towards this is wrong. Rather than being driven externally, you need to learn how to be driven internally -- that's the source of so many accomplished people - it's driven from their own desire to do something great (and impressing others may or may not be just the icing on the cake). That's why asking how to be more unique is like asking how to be a better man (or woman). I can't tell you anything specific because only you can figure out the specifics that mean the most to you.

In terms of school choices, if you're itching to get into HBS or Wharton, by all means apply, but apply to other lower tiered schools you think you can get into. Or if it's "top schools or bust" then be prepared for not getting in anywhere and have a plan B.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com