If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
Last_time_applying

What to look for in Admissions Consultant

by Last_time_applying Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:24 am

I have a pretty unique background when compared to most MBA applicants. I graduated w/ a film degree and worked in the film industry. I'm now a rep for a high performance brake manufacturer. I'm not an analyst or consultant for a big firm or a big bank. This is probably a strong point, but I'm not sure how to leverage it.

I applied two years ago with undesirable results and since then improved my GMAT by 50 points to 670, and attended financial accounting and economics classes at a community college. My first choice would be the Marshall program @ USC although I do have some alternates. I prefer no other program as much as I prefer Marshall. Therefore I'd like to work with a consultant to create the best application possible.

What should I be looking for in a consultant? I'm going for the Jan 15th Round 2 deadline, which makes me feel time is of the essence, I'd like to do round 1 if possible. I want someone who can honestly tell me which programs I have a decent chance of being accepted to.

Everything from each school's admissions dept feels like they are trying to garner as many applications as possible when in reality I had no business applying to those schools. I'm a much better candidate now and chances have greatly increased however this I do not want to re-apply again, and I certainly would like to avoid being rejected again.

Who are some good consultants? Like I said above, what should I be looking for in a MBA admissions consultant? Any referrals? If anyone would like to share their experience in private, please email me, midnightcustom02@hotmail.com

Thank you very much, and I look forward to hearing from everyone.
MBA Mission

Re: What to look for in Admissions Consultant

by MBA Mission Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:29 pm

Thank you for your inquiry.

We recognize that you need to find the right fit with your consultant and that is why we offer a free consultation - so that you can gain a thorough understanding of who we are and what we can do for you. Please feel free to click on the link below and we will follow up with you so that you can determine whether we are right for you.

http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

In terms of our merits as a firm... We recognize that the MBA admissions process is fundamentally about communicating your distinctiveness through the written word. So, logically, we have a bias toward writing. While we are all MBAs from top-schools, we are also published authors; therefore, we have the skills to help you identify your unique stories and, of course, execute on them.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Last_time_applying Wrote:I have a pretty unique background when compared to most MBA applicants. I graduated w/ a film degree and worked in the film industry. I'm now a rep for a high performance brake manufacturer. I'm not an

analyst or consultant for a big firm or a big bank. This is probably a strong point, but I'm not sure how to leverage it.

I applied two years ago with undesirable results and since then improved my GMAT by 50 points to 670, and attended financial accounting and economics classes at a community college. My first choice would be the Marshall program @ USC although I do have some alternates. I prefer no other program as much as I prefer Marshall. Therefore I'd like to work with a consultant to create the best application possible.

What should I be looking for in a consultant? I'm going for the Jan 15th Round 2 deadline, which makes me feel time is of the essence, I'd like to do round 1 if possible. I want someone who can honestly tell me which programs I have a decent chance of being accepted to.

Everything from each school's admissions dept feels like they are trying to garner as many applications as possible when in reality I had no business applying to those schools. I'm a much better candidate now and chances have greatly increased however this I do not want to re-apply again, and I certainly would like to avoid being rejected again.

Who are some good consultants? Like I said above, what should I be looking for in a MBA admissions consultant? Any referrals? If anyone would like to share their experience in private, please email me, midnightcustom02@hotmail.com

Thank you very much, and I look forward to hearing from everyone.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:39 am

Choosing a consultant is similar to choosing an attorney, agent, or any other service provider.

Make your rounds - contact a few of them. Most will be able to give you an assessment on where you stand - what to expect and "what your chances are" so to speak at your target schools.

Like any service provider, here's a couple of things to consider:

(1) You get what you pay for. Some consultants are cheaper for a reason. Some charge more because they can (they have the reputation, experience and so forth). This doesn't mean that the more expensive one is automatically a better fit, but it's something to keep in mind.

(2) There are service providers and there are sales organizations. Some consulting firms are built on sales. Others are built on providing a service. The former will be all things to all people. The latter isn't afraid of turning away a potential client if there isn't a fit or if the consultant feels that they cannot be of help. When you contact a few consultants privately, you should be able to get a sense for who is being a salesperson, and who is being an advisor.

(3) Communication styles differ. You will be working one-on-one with a consultant (at most consulting firms as far as I know). Consultants are people with different personalities and perspectives. Some consultants like to add a bit of honey with their medicine, whereas others only give the medicine. Neither style is "better" or "worse" - just different. It all depends on the kind of person you are - some folks prefer the hard stuff straight up, whereas others may need a bit of honey to feel comfortable.

(4) If it sounds too good to be true, it is. A reputable consultant will tell you that all they can do is ensure you put your best foot forward - that regardless of the result, you have done all you could. To use a modeling analogy, we're like your personal stylist. We can't change your height, skin tone, bone structure, cup size, etc. but we can help you choose the right wardrobe, makeup and hair style that makes you look the best you can . But we can't turn you into Gisele Bundchen if you don't have comparable genes. Or if you're a guy, we're like your personal trainer - we can help you make the most of your physique for whatever sport you're playing, but we can't turn you into the next Tom Brady if you don't have the same kinds of intangibles that he has. We can't change your GMAT, work history, academics, extracurriculars and so forth. We help you make the most of what you have. You provide the talent and hard work - and we provide the expertise, experience and insight into the admissions process. Together, that can improve your chances (and sometimes significantly), but that combination sometimes may not be enough in the end either given how subjective the admissions process can be.

Good luck!

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com