Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
akhp77
Students

When airline carriers are able to impose

by akhp77 Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 am

Source: ManhattanGMAT CAT Verbal Free Online

When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many price-sensitive passengers, it is an encouraging sign for the health of the airline industry.

A - When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many price-sensitive passengers
B - When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many passengers who are price-sensitive
C - When airline carriers may raise fares significantly without it acting as a deterrent to many price-sensitive passengers
D - When airline carriers may raise fares significantly without it deterring many price-sensitive passengers
E - When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without it deterring many price-sensitive passengers

Here, I am unable to choose between A and B.

By the way, between "many price-sensitive passengers" and "many passengers who are price-sensitive", which one is better.
ps63739
Students

Re: When airline carriers are able to impose

by ps63739 Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:25 pm

I will say A. Because insertion of 'Who' just increases the length of the sentence. It doesn't bring any more clarity in the sentence as there already is.
chunyang.yu
Forum Guests

by chunyang.yu Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:34 pm

A is better, simply because it is more concise
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon May 03, 2010 12:56 pm

chunyang is right. I don't like choice B, though, because it's rare that the real test will make you choose solely based on this. I'm submitting this one for review.

Also, note, this problem breaks a cardinal GMAT rule: there should be at least one difference at the beginning and the end of the underline. The first three words in every choice in this one are the same; I'm going to edit that right now.

Argh: I spoke to soon. With the way the database works, I can't edit that right now because it will change the problem for everyone who has already gotten this question in the past (when they review the problem). That edit will have to wait for the full review. :(
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep