Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
anniee624
Students

When Americans filed their tax returns

by anniee624 Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:00 am

When Americans filed their tax returns this year, the United States Treasury Department collected $315.1 billion in tax revenue, a 13.4% increase over last year. Yet the number of tax returns filed by employees did not increase significantly over the past year.

Each of the following, if true, could explain the simultaneous increase in tax revenue collection and the unchanged number of employee tax returns filed EXCEPT:

A. During this year, the number of women who re-entered the workforce as employees, after taking time off to raise children, was greater than the number of people who retired from the workforce.

B. Many retired workers owed more in taxes this year due to an increase in dividends and capital gains on their stock investments.

C. Last year, tax revenues were unusually low because the stock market experienced a marked decline, and many taxpayers reduced their taxable income with capital losses.

D. Compared with previous years, a greater percentage of the total tax revenue this year was collected from small businesses and corporations.

E. The employees who filed tax returns were paid higher wages this year than they were in the past, and thus owed more to the government in taxes per person.

The correct answer of the question is A, but I chose D.

I have some questions about D :
From the argument, I think the ëxcept answer¨ is the one that failed to prove that more tax is collected per person/busniness/company this year.

D just states that this year greater percentage of total tax revenue was collected from small business and corporations than was in previous year. But the choice failed to tell us whether the increased percentage of tax collected from small businesses means more tax per business , because it´s possible that last year greater percentage of tax is collected from bigger business and each bigger business could pay more tax. If it´s like this, then this year, the tax collected from each small business would be less, then how could the total tax increased this year?

I feel the answer failed to states which factor is comparing with the tax from small business and corporation: tax from employees or tax from bigger companies.

I think the D should state like this if it wants to explain the simultaneous increase :Compared with previous years that greater percentage of tax was collected from individuals (employees) , a greater percentage of the total tax revenue this year was collected from small businesses and corporations.

D is lack of something so that it can´t explain the simultaneous increase, thats why I choose D instead.

Please tell me what´s wrong with my thinking of D :? thank you so much!!