Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
GeorgeT947
Students

When should I take my first CAT (practice)?

by GeorgeT947 Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Hello!

I have the full 6th edition strategy guides full set. I need to know what my baseline is with regard to my GMAT score. I am looking to achieve 740+ and know full well my first exam could very well be 400-500s. That being said, before even going through any of these guides should I just take this exam right off the bat? Should I do a bit of prep works first on all topics then take the practice exam?

Thank you!

George
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: When should I take my first CAT (practice)?

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi! You don't need to review each of the topics first, no (in fact, you actively don't want to)—you want to see what your starting strengths and weaknesses are because that will show you how you need to prioritize all of those topics.

It is useful, though, to know the basics about the different question types, so that you're not missing questions just because you don't know how the question type works.

Take a look at the first appendix at the end of your Fractions, Decimals, and Percents guide—that explains how to do Data Sufficiency (DS) problems (one of the two quant question types on the GMAT). Then do a few problems just to practice. The other quant question type is just a "standard" multiple-choice type—you don't need to learn anything about these in advance.

On the verbal side, take a look at the first chapter of your Sentence Correction strategy guide to learn the overall process for doing SC problems. After reading that, again do a couple of problems just to practice. (Do you have the Official Guide? If so, do a few very easy problems—the lower-numbered ones in each chapter are easier.)

You don't need to prepare anything for the other two verbal question types. Just go ahead and take your first practice test after learning about DS and SC.

Do you have access to our practice exams (or exams from another test prep company)? I would use one of those, not one of the official practice tests—save those for later in your studies.

When you're done with the test, dig through the data to get a good sense of your strengths and weaknesses and then use that information to help you figure out your study plan and how to prioritize different things in your studies. (Feel free to come back here and ask our advice about any of that.) Good luck!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep