Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
RaffaeleM39
Students

[MGMAT SC guide ch 4] which and that as noun modifier

by RaffaeleM39 Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:55 am

I don't know the page of my question since I have the e-book, and the page numbers change based on your screen size

Examples of noun modifiers include

1. Adjectives
    2. Preposition
    3. Past Participle
    4. Present participle without commas

After the table, there are these 2 more examples
The cat, which lives next door, is very noisy
The cat that lives next door is very noisy

So I guess that "which lives next door" and "that lives next door" are examples of noun modifiers too right? So, in the table above, I can add "subordinates introduced by which/that", right?

I looked in the internet too, for example here the term "noun modifier" is used in a completely different way. It means a noun that follows another noun (e.g. "a school teacher", "an office worker", "some grammar practice exercises")

Thanks
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: [MGMAT SC guide ch 4] which and that as noun modifier

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:13 am

You're on the right lines, but don't forget to ask the obvious question: "What's the point of modifiers?". The answer is that these are words or phrases that give extra information about other things in the sentence. So, to correct one thing, prepositions aren't themselves modifiers, but they are part of phrases that are modifiers. Take the example 'The bowl of apples is on the table.' The bold part here is giving some extra info about the bowl - it's a modifier. You're totally right that the words 'that' and 'which' also introduce modifiers - your example is a good one.

As for the link you showed, it's using the term 'noun modifier' in a different way, to show nouns that modify other nouns. We use the term 'noun modifier' to mean things that modify nouns. Mixing your materials can be confusing! I'd encourage you to read chapter 6 of our Foundations of Verbal.

Finally, when it comes to grammar and GMAT, be sure that you prioritize making sense of things, rather than just memorizing seemingly random new terms. Be confident to ask the questions "What's the point of this?", "Do I need to know this?", and "How does this fit with what I know already?".
RaffaeleM39
Students

by RaffaeleM39 Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:05 am

Yes I understand. Also the following sections of the MH SC guide explain relative propositions as noun modifiers. Thank you for replying!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:34 am

Good to hear that.