Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
redexpo
Students

"which" referent ambiguity

by redexpo Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:38 pm

This is related to GMAT prep explanations for multiple questions. For example, something like "the machines rode around and took pictures, which were helpful in determining the quality of the sample." GMAT prep explanations keep emphasizing that "which" is ambiguous in these cases. But, from reading MGMAT SC guide, I remember quite vividly that if you follow grammar rules, "which" has to modify the noun phrase immediately preceding it, so there is no ambiguity in this construction. Did GMAC change trajectory on "which," or are GMAT prep explanations flawed? Thanks.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: "which" referent ambiguity

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Which "GMAT Prep" explanations are you referring to? The GMAT Prep software doesn't provide explanations, as far as I'm aware.
redexpo
Students

by redexpo Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:10 pm

I am referring to the OG questions in Wiley.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:32 am

Got it. These are problems from the Official Guide, not the GMAT Prep software. You're right not to trust these explanations, as they contain lots of contradictions and inconsistencies. On the subject of 'which', it's a noun modifier which should be placed as close as possible to the noun that it's modifying. I can't really comment on the example you cite without seeing the full problem (and our rules don't allow you to post it here, as it's copyright). You'll find an explanation in the Navigator software that might help you.