Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
YashuY968
Students

which usage

by YashuY968 Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:44 am

Hi, dear instructors

I am always confused by the , which.

I found a sentence and it is wrong .

Production is almost expected to double by the end of the year, which would provide enough electricity for 1.3 million households. 

I wonder can I cross this answer just because the which modify "year"

Thanks
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: which usage

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:06 am

In GMAT, which is used as a noun modifier; the construction "comma + VERB-ing" is used to show the result of a clause. Check out our strategy guide on this one.

Also, please read the forum guidelines: you need to post the whole problem, and you're not allowed to post from paid-for resources.
FaysalT485
Students

by FaysalT485 Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:55 am

Hi Experts,

1) On her birthday, kim got from her parents and iphone 4s and ipad 3, which was in her wish list from a very long time.
2) On her birthday, kim got from her parents and iphone 4s and ipad 3, which were in her wish list from a very long time.
3) On her birthday, kim got from her parents and iphone 4s and ipad 3, in her wish list from a very long time.

In 1) "which" is only modifying "ipad 3"
in 2) "which" is modifying "iphone 4s and upad 3"
In 3) the appositive can modify either "iphone" or "ipad" or both

Am i correct ?

Plus are there any rules for the usage of appositives ?

Thanks,
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:31 am

I should emphasize from the start that my responses are colored by the kind of sentences I've seen in GMAT problems. Since GMAT don't post the exact rules that they adhere to, nerds like me spend time reading official problems and working out the kind of things we can expect.

1) On her birthday, kim got from her parents and iphone 4s and ipad 3, which was in her wish list from a very long time.
In my opinion, GMAT would consider this sentence unclear in meaning and therefore wrong. I think you'd be more likely to find:
1a) On her birthday, kim got from her parents an ipad 3, which was in her wish list from a very long time, and an iphone 4s.

2) On her birthday, kim got from her parents and iphone 4s and ipad 3, which were in her wish list from a very long time.

This one works okay.

3) On her birthday, kim got from her parents and iphone 4s and ipad 3, in her wish list from a very long time.
This one doesn't work for me. My understanding of appositive is that it's a noun placed next to another noun as a modifier: for example 'I bought a car, a Mercedes.' These are extremely common in GMAT. In your example, there's no noun to make it an appositive. This modifier is what you're more likely to see:
3a) On her birthday, kim got from her parents and iphone 4s and ipad 3, items that were in her wish list from a very long time.
FaysalT485
Students

by FaysalT485 Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:22 am

Thanks Sage.

I remember seeing the following split in one of the OG exercise but can't remember which one it was.

I ate alot of cookies and chips, which were bought from X
I ate alot of cookies and chips, bought from X

The 2nd sentence was considered correct. Any thoughts on that ?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:58 am

Sure: using past participles as modifiers is really common. Take these examples:
Faysal, exhausted from his day, fell asleep.
Faysal, who was exhausted from his day, fell asleep.

They're both fine and there's no real difference between them. However, using a 'wh...' word makes the modifier clearer. Participle modifiers can be adverbial modifiers, often showing the result of an action.
I bought a new picture, which was painted by hand.
This is preferable (as it's clearer) to:
I bought a new picture, painted by hand.
FaysalT485
Students

by FaysalT485 Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 am

thanks Sage
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 pm

You're welcome.