Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

why A is wrong ? SC

by thanghnvn Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:48 am

From gmatprep

Though the law will require emissions testing of all diesel vehicles, from tractor trailers to excursion buses, it will have no effect on sport utility vehicles, almost all of which are gasoline// powered, and will not be sub-jected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for// diesel-powered vehicles.
A. powered, and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for
B. powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those of
C. powered and therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for
D. powered, which are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for
E. powered and therefore they are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those of

oa is c. but please explain why a is wrong
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

Re: why A is wrong ? SC

by thanghnvn Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:03 am

I want us to discuss the following error rather than other errors

in comparision, two sides of comparision must be in the same structure. for example

...standards as stringent as those standards
( two sides have no verb)
is better than

...standard as stringent as those standards are

similarly

"the standards of us are as good as those of uk are"
are correct because the two sides have verbs.

two sides of the comparision must be in the same structure. if the first side has verb, the second side need a verb. if the first side has no verb, the second side has no verb.

evidence for this rule is the question

so-called-green-taxes-which-exact-a-price-for-the-use-t351.html

is my thinking correct?
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:45 am

thanghnvn Wrote:I want us to discuss the following error rather than other errors

in comparision, two sides of comparision must be in the same structure. for example

...standards as stringent as those standards
( two sides have no verb)
is better than

...standard as stringent as those standards are

similarly

"the standards of us are as good as those of uk are"
are correct because the two sides have verbs.

two sides of the comparision must be in the same structure. if the first side has verb, the second side need a verb. if the first side has no verb, the second side has no verb.

evidence for this rule is the question

so-called-green-taxes-which-exact-a-price-for-the-use-t351.html

is my thinking correct?

Mostly yes.

I think you're over simplifying this just a bit. It's not "is there a verb on each side?" but "are we comparing nouns or clauses?" In your first example, we are comparing standard X to standard Y, while in your second example, you're comparing how standards X are good to how standards Y are also good.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
satish.polumati
Students

by satish.polumati Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:18 am

Hi ,

Why the option B is wrong ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:31 am

satish.polumati Wrote:Hi ,

Why the option B is wrong ?

* "Standards of vehicles" doesn't make sense; you need "standards for vehicles" -- i.e., standards that the vehicles must meet. ("Standards of vehicles" implies that the vehicles themselves somehow have "standards", rather than that those standards are imposed upon them.)

* "Subjected to" means "forced to undergo", e.g., Many shelter animals have been subjected to abuse by their previous owners.
Emissions standards are rules that apply to the vehicles, but not processes that the vehicles can be forced to undergo; that's the meaning of "subject to". (You could write, for instance, that the vehicles are subjected to intense emissions tests -- i.e., they are forced to undergo those tests.)
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Fri May 16, 2014 10:53 am

sorry,
though i've read all the post about this problem, i still can't have some questions about option B and option c (oa).

i know the differences between "of" & "for" in this problem, so what makes me mad is that I don't fully understand the phrase "be subjected to"

sentence b: it (the law) will have no effect on sport utility vehicles, almost all of which are gasoline powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for diesel-powered vehicles. [ PS revised ]

sentence c: it (the law) will have no effect on sport utility vehicles, almost all of which are gasoline powered and therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for diesel-powered vehicles.

i think OA should be "almost all of which are gasoline powered and therefore (which are) not subjected to emissions-control standards"

I am not questioning the OA. Just need some one to tell me why i am wrong.

ARIGATO
Tadashi.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 8:23 am

"Subjected to" means that someone/something has been actively subjected to some sort of testing.

The drill officers are going to subject new recruits to intense physical training.

New recruits will be subjected to intense physical training.

"Subject to", on the other hand, means that some sort of rule/law/principle generally applies to someone/something.

New recruits are subject to stricter curfews and a more stringent code of conduct than are more senior cadets.
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Mon May 19, 2014 10:58 am

coolllll!
thanks Ron
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Sure.
addict1ve
Forum Guests

by addict1ve Tue May 20, 2014 1:08 am

RonPurewal Wrote:Sure.

Hi Ron,

In addition to the error identified in B above, I think we also have a parallelism issue.

It seems to me that
"it will have no effect on sport utility vehicles, almost all of which are gasoline powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those of diesel-powered vehicles."

It looks like 'it' = 'the law' is the subject of the statement after 'and'; therefore, it doesnt make sense to say that law is subjected to emission control standards.

Correct?

Cheers
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed May 21, 2014 5:27 pm

addict1ve Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:Sure.

Hi Ron,

In addition to the error identified in B above, I think we also have a parallelism issue.

It seems to me that
"it will have no effect on sport utility vehicles, almost all of which are gasoline powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those of diesel-powered vehicles."

It looks like 'it' = 'the law' is the subject of the statement after 'and'; therefore, it doesnt make sense to say that law is subjected to emission control standards.

Correct?

Cheers

Nope.
"Subjected" is a modifier, not a verb. (It's the wrong modifier"”it should be subject, as discussed above"”but it's still a modifier.)
So, the parallel structures are 2 modifiers:
- gasoline-powered
... and therefore...
"- not subject(ed) to xxxxxx.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed May 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Another problem in that choice is the construction "those of xxxxx vehicles".
That doesn't make sense; it implies "standards of vehicles""”i.e., the vehicles themselves set the standards. (Should be "standards for vehicles" instead.)
JaneJ740
Forum Guests

by JaneJ740 Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:03 am

Hi, what's wrong with E?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:46 pm

choice (e) tries to put a modifier ((almost all of) which are...) in parallel with a complete sentence (they are...)
nope.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:48 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:choice (e) tries to put a modifier ((almost all of) which are...) in parallel with a complete sentence (they are...)
nope.

... and there's also the fact that "standards of..." is nonsense here, as discussed a few posts earlier.

however, the non-parallelism described above is quite blatant and should definitely be the first thing you notice about that choice. (always examine parallelism first, if indeed parallelism is tested.)