Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
iconstudent448
Students

"with the aim of reducing" vs "with the aim to reduce"

by iconstudent448 Sat May 26, 2012 10:45 pm

As per the SC guide "with the aim to " is incorrect vs "with the aim of reducing"

Correct sentence: We adopted new procedures with the aim of reducing theft.
Incorrect sentence: We adopted new procedures with the aim to reduce theft.

As per my understanding, the reason for this is that the word "aim" has been used as a noun in the above(correct) sentence and therefore we chose to use aim of instead of aim to.

I think aim to would be correct when aim is used as a verb e.g. We adopted new policies aimed at reducing theft.

Please let me know whether this is correct.
tim
Course Students

Re: "with the aim of reducing" vs "with the aim to reduce"

by tim Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:10 am

this is an idiom. you just have to memorize how the GMAT wants you to answer questions with this construction..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
Jov
Students

by Jov Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:07 am

We adopted new procedures aimed at reducing theft.
We adopted new procedures with the aim of reducing theft.

I understand that they both are correct.Is there any difference in the meaning of both these sentences?

For me it seems that the first sentence:
we adopted new procedures and all these new procedures are aimed at reducing theft.

We adopted new procedures. Also, we have aim of reducing theft. But we don't know whether these procedures are aimed at reducing theft or not.

Please let me know if my thinking is right or not. If it is not, then please let me know the difference between these two in terms of meaning.

Thanks,
Jov
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:11 am

That's pretty much the idea.

Such subtle differences won't be tested on this exam. If meaning issues exist, they'll be significant differences.