If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
FernandoG983
Students

Worried about low GPA

by FernandoG983 Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi guys,

I have a good GMAT (740 with an 8 in IR) but a fairly low GPA (equivalent to US 3.1). I have passed all 3 levels of the CFA and work at a PE firm. My backstory includes a dramatic fall from grace for my family after the '08 crisis and a growing GPA year after year (from 2.7 in my first year to 3.7 in my last year). Do you think these are good enough stats to be considered in a Top 5 MBA program?

Thanks,
FG
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Worried about low GPA

by mbaMissionKate Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi there,
The best way to "counteract" a lower GPA is to get a high GMAT, which you've done, so congrats! The CFA will help too. You could also take supplemental coursework in a quantitative subject, particularly if you have any especially low grades in subjects like statistics, accounting, economics, etc. The Adcom will review your entire transcript too, not just the overall GPA, so they will see the upward trend too. Plan to write an optional essay about the extenuating circumstances and more recent positive indicators of your ability to manage the coursework. Depending on your other qualifications (work experience, career goals, extracurriculars) and execution of your application, I don't think your GPA puts you out of the running for top programs. Just make sure you apply to a range of programs, perhaps 1 or 2 outside the Top 5 just so you have a backup if you need it. Good luck, and keep us posted if we can help!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php