Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
rajan

writing block...

by rajan Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:25 pm

I am not able write at length in essays such as "we shape our buildings and afterwards buildings shape us"--possibly due to metaphorical nature of these essays.

Can you recommend some methodology for improvement?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:22 pm

I don't have a good writing book or resource at my fingertips, unfortunately. You might want to ask other students for advice or check the reviews on Amazon for a good book on learning to write essays. Sorry I can't be more helpful. :(
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
8Kby10

we shape our buildings and afterwards buildings shape us

by 8Kby10 Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:04 pm

This is famous statement by Winston Churchl (needless to say about him). Hope that helps.

There are many scenarios, topics which can relate to this statement.

even if you don't know who said it. Best approach is to break it down to small basic logical units, which is nothing but take it literally.

1. "We shape our buildings" i.e. we create something, we are the reason for something etc., basically, we decide how something should be.

2. "and afterwards buildings shape us" Things that we create, that we opt for affect our lives.

Something like "You reap what you sow".

You can elaborate these basic cause-and-effects statements by giving examples.

Democracy: As defined by Abraham Lincoln "It's a government of the people, by the people, for the people". People is nothing but common man including me. So for democracy to succeed in it's role as people's government, I have to take active participation. We as people have to shape it up in such a way that this 360 degree mechanism of cause leads effect and effects leads cause, goverment elected by us provides leads nation/world to peace and progress.

Hope this helps.

8Kby10.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:03 am

thanks for your thoughts!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep