Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
shoug65
Students

x percent females; can assume the gender of the remaining?

by shoug65 Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:21 pm

If the questions states that, say, a class has p% of females, then do we assume that the remaining is (100-p)% males?
I have usually avoided this, and until now have not faced any issues. That is, when I draw the double set matrix, I would usually use the categories for Females and non-Females (and the remaining axis would probably come from another attribute like "students who walk/do not walk to school)

In the GMAT OG Navigator explanation for DS 279 (2020 edition), the explanation touches briefly on the rest of the class being males.
This is a major assumption and for FDP can be make-or-break.
Are we allowed to make the assumption that for gender problems it is %ofM + %ofF = 100%?

Thank you
SS
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: x percent females; can assume the gender of the remaining?

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:23 pm

This is a rather live issue in education materials, and many companies (including Manhattan Prep) have moved away from the assumption of binary genders. However, there are a number of Official GMAT problems that rely on the assumption you state, that total people = males + females. So, yes, at present you can (indeed must) make that assumption for GMAT problems.
shoug65
Students

by shoug65 Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:26 pm

Thank you! That will be helpful :D
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:00 am

You're welcome.