tamwaiman
Thanks Received: 26
Forum Guests

trophy
Most Thankful

PT5, S2, G3 - A hobbyist

by tamwaiman Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:42 pm

Q13:

H is selected, from rule2 (H-->HK) and rule4(K-->KX), we get (B).

Q14:

1. (A) violates rule1 (G-->~H & ~Y)

2. X & Z are selected, so we can eliminate choices with W or Y(the stimulus tells us there are exactly two plants), but none has W or Y; however, according to rule3 (~W-->~J), we can eliminate choices with J, then (B)(D)(E) are ruled out.

Q15:
(C) violates rule2 (H-->HK)

Q16:

1. From rule1, the choice with G is eliminated--> (A) is out.
2. (C) violate rule2, out
3. If both J and K are selected, then we will get three plants, which is not permitted, so (B)(E) are out.

Q17:
When we select two plants, the other two must be ruled out.

If W is out, then J is out.
If X is out, then K is out and then H is out.
If Y is in, then G is out.

Therefore when we choose Y but not X, three fishes will be ruled out, which is not permitted.

c.s.sun5
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

Re: PT5, S2, G3 - A hobbyist

by c.s.sun5 Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for the explanations!

Just wondering though, how did you go about solving this problem? Did you do any graphing or did you just look at each answer choice and eliminate it based on the rules? (isn't that more time consuming?) Especially the last question (17) how do you know to set it up that way because when I look at the problem I feel really lost and I didn't know how to start solving it (like eliminating the answer choices).

tamwaiman
Thanks Received: 26
Forum Guests

trophy
Most Thankful

Re: PT5, S2, G3 - A hobbyist

by tamwaiman Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:52 pm

c.s.sun5 Wrote:Thanks for the explanations!

Just wondering though, how did you go about solving this problem? Did you do any graphing or did you just look at each answer choice and eliminate it based on the rules? (isn't that more time consuming?) Especially the last question (17) how do you know to set it up that way because when I look at the problem I feel really lost and I didn't know how to start solving it (like eliminating the answer choices).

Hi c.s.sun5

I do graphing in almost questions, and this forum provide many useful ones for reference.
Regarding Q17, I just practice.

mcrittell
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Diagram

by mcrittell Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:48 am

Can someone please confirm my diagram (aside from the constraints of 3+2; I can keep that in my working memory)?

mcrittell
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by mcrittell Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:51 pm

There should also be a line connecting J with W in the In column. There shouldn't be a line from K (In) to X (Out).

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Nice work mccrittell pointing that out. In case anyone would like to see a version of the Logic Chain on this one, check out the attached setup...

Good luck!
Attachments
PT5, S2, G3 Aquarium, Fish.pdf
(506.79 KiB) Downloaded 615 times