This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked

Q17

by chike_eze Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Correct = (D)
Question Type: Could be true.
i.e., 4 answer choices = Must be false

If H is on the second day, then per rule 1, the only spots left for N and T are on days one and three.
And per rule 2, T cannot be on day 1, therefore N must be on day 1 and T must be on day 3.
Also, per rule 3, P must be on day 1 before N.

So,

1) P N
2) H _ or _ H
3) T _ or _ T

(D) correct = could be OT on day 3

(a) wrong. T on day 3
(b) wrong. N on day 1
(c) wrong. T on day 3
(e) wrong. P on day 1

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q17

by noah Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Great write-up! I corrected a small typo (you wrote "H" but meant "T").

One thing you might want to explore is consider which elements will probably be used in the correct answer of could be questions. For this question, a quick scan tells us the answer choices are all about which day something is on, and the only elements that are up for grabs for days are G and O. So, you could jump to (D) and evaluate.

VendelaG465
Thanks Received: 0
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by VendelaG465 Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:08 am

I had a question in regards to frames. For this game i drew two frames for out since we didn't know if H was on top or bottom for day 2. For frame 1 I had
P H T P G O
N O G then for frame 2 i had N H T . for this question i had happened to use the second frame & i realize there isn't an answer choice for frame 1 but would there ever be an occasion like this on the test where options for both frames could show up?

VendelaG465
Thanks Received: 0
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by VendelaG465 Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:11 am

Sorry it came out together.

Frame 1: P H T on top then N O G on bottom

Frame 2: P G O on top and N H T on bottom.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 am

In any game where you make frames, a conditional question's condition (like "H is on the 2nd day") might be possible in only one frame or in two frames or in even more, if there were more.

Your first job in reading the IF-condition is to ask yourself, "Well ... could that go down in ANY of my frames or is that condition limiting me to a certain frame(s)?"

This is a COULD BE TRUE question, so any answer choice that is possible is right. It doesn't matter whether it's possible in only one frame or more than one frame.

I think maybe your question is, "Could I have gotten myself into trouble by only looking at one frame?"

Definitely not. But that's because this is "could be true" and because you found a scenario that worked.

If you had tested H = 2nd day on your first frame, and none of the answer choices were possible, then you'd try H = 2nd day on your next frame and see if anything worked.

If you were doing a MUST BE TRUE (i.e. "ALWAYS true") question, then you'd have to make sure that any answer choice you were picking was applicable in ALL your frames.