Q4

backupbecool
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

Q4

by backupbecool Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm

I put D but the answer is E and I can't see why that is a better answer.

tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Re: Q4

by tzyc Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:27 am

Hello,
I'm confused...isn't the answer (A)?
This is the DNA passage right? The answer choice (D) does not start with "justify" word neither...
Could you explain why (A) if it's correct/incorrect?
Thank you!

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by maryadkins Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Thank you for that catch. You're right that that was an answer to a different question! I deleted it.

To answer your question, the answer is (A).

We want to weaken the argument of the rDNA opponents the the rDNA organisms are going to escape from the lab and wreak havoc on humanity. The best way to do this is to ensure they won't escape from the lab. (A) does that.

(B) Is successfully contained how? This is not a terrible answer choice, but it's less clear and defined than (A), which does what we want.

(C) Okay, but what about its population that remains--how dangerous are those guys?

(D) That's great. What about the rest of the genetically modified organisms that aren't this type?

(E) has nothing to do with rDNA.

judaydaday
Thanks Received: 6
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by judaydaday Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:23 pm

maryadkins Wrote:Thank you for that catch. You're right that that was an answer to a different question! I deleted it.

To answer your question, the answer is (A).

We want to weaken the argument of the rDNA opponents the the rDNA organisms are going to escape from the lab and wreak havoc on humanity. The best way to do this is to ensure they won't escape from the lab. (A) does that.

(B) Is successfully contained how? This is not a terrible answer choice, but it's less clear and defined than (A), which does what we want.

(C) Okay, but what about its population that remains--how dangerous are those guys?

(D) That's great. What about the rest of the genetically modified organisms that aren't this type?

(E) has nothing to do with rDNA.

Is this the only reason (B) would be eliminated? Because (A) is a better choice?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

by maryadkins Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:30 am

I should have been more specific! Sorry about that.

(B) only covers one way that rDNA can get outside the lab: if it's "accidentally released." But what about other ways? What if it isn't "released" at all but somehow escape? And does "successfully contained" mean that there are literally no effects at all that opponents worry about? How could this even be known for sure? (B) gets partially there but not all the way there.

And yep, since it's a MOST WEAKEN question, the fact that (A) weakens more is reason enough to pick (A).