Trying to organize yourself? Not sure how to make real gains? Rely on the advice of the many folks who have been there before.

CameronE704
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

What's a good amount of time to prep?

by CameronE704 Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:47 am

Hey Manhattan Experts,

I just purchased your 5th edition strategy guide set and waiting for their arrival. I was wondering what else you'd recommend I purchase as far as Prep tests and/or anything supplemental to guide me in my studies. I've read numerous reviews, and it seems like Manhattan Prep is the best option for students aiming for a high LSAT, so I likely won't need additional prep materials aside from Prep tests. There seems to be so many and I'm a little confused about how to proceed with my studies once my books arrive.

Do I read each one, one at a time? Take a few PTs a week or do sections? Timed or untimed? Also, I hear many people talk about drilling... Is that something worth doing or mostly just PTs?

I am aiming for a 170 score and beginning from a 157, so I have my work cut out for me. (I took the June 07' free exam as my diagnostic)

Also, lastly, what is a good amount of time to prep for before sitting for the LSAT? I hear around 3-4 months is the standard and wondering if that's generally still recommended?

Thanks for all your help. :ugeek:

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: What's a good amount of time to prep?

by ohthatpatrick Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:01 pm

3-4 months is pretty realistic; it might be on the short side of harvesting all of your potential, but you'll be approaching your peak plateau at that point.

You should definitely buy the just-released Volume VI of LSAC's series of 10-test books. This new edition gives you the 10 most recently released tests (72 thru 81).

Here's a link for a google search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=lsac+72 ... e&ie=UTF-8

It looks like they're between $20-26.

I would suggest you use THAT book of ten tests primarily for taking full length practice tests.

Then, buy the previous edition, tests 62 thru 71, and use those for working through examples. If you find you need/want more LSAT problems than those 20 tests would give you, then you'd buy the edition before that, which goes from 52 thru 61.

If you come across older compilations of tests for way less, feel free to use those for practice. They still have plenty to teach us about how LSAT works. But ultimately the modern tests have subtly different style and voice, so it's good to maximize your practice on that material.

You should check out some of the previous threads about study tips:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... 17901.html

And you should DEFINITELY sign up for "The Brief", which is a free daily email with LSAT summaries and strategies that also comes with accompanying assignments.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/reso ... lsat-prep/