Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
tim
Course Students

Re: Due to Vs Because of

by tim Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:03 am

glad to hear it, and i really like your sig line! :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
as2764
Course Students

by as2764 Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:12 am

Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
bahonon
Forum Guests

by bahonon Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi,
I want just to know whether the sentence below is correct in regard to the use of 'due to', since I'm still confused.

'' Small community hospitals in poor urban areas almost always operate at a loss due to an unfortunate cycle of factors.''

Borel
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:19 am

bahonon Wrote:Hi,
I want just to know whether the sentence below is correct in regard to the use of 'due to', since I'm still confused.

'' Small community hospitals in poor urban areas almost always operate at a loss due to an unfortunate cycle of factors.''

Borel

since you're trying to modify "operate at a loss", nope.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:19 am

just remember-- if "due to" can be replaced with "caused by", then it's fine.
if "because of" is correct, then "due to" is incorrect.
Shashanks831
Students

by Shashanks831 Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:47 am

ningli_21 Wrote:
rohansharmaster Wrote:Dear Friends,

one tip that will be useful to people like me,who have struggled to understand the distinction:

Due To:This phrase modifies adjectives/adjectival phrases.
for example : His failure is due to his laziness.

Because of : This phrase modifies the verb.
for example : He failed because of his laziness.

Cheers,
Rohan

I actually have a concern about this rule when applied to a MAGMAT verbal question:

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

Should the underlined section be 'due to' or 'because of' ? drought and booming population density are noun and adjectives so shouldn't it be 'due to' instead 'because of'?

Please advise. Thanks

yes, exactly my point. This question made me challenge my understanding and I landed onto this post. It should be Due to here, not because of.
cgentry
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by cgentry Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:01 pm

ningli_21 Wrote:
I actually have a concern about this rule when applied to a MAGMAT verbal question:

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

Should the underlined section be 'due to' or 'because of' ? drought and booming population density are noun and adjectives so shouldn't it be 'due to' instead 'because of'?

Please advise. Thanks

You have two options. Either you are describing the verb "have become", in which case you would use "because of", or you are describing "drought ... and density", in which case you would use "due to".

Do we know what caused the drought? Or what caused the booming population density?
Or do we know why the wildfires have become an ongoing threat?

If you use the "due to" construction, you are implying you know what caused the wildfires, or the drought, or the booming population density.

If you use the "because of" construction, you are implying you know why the wildfires have become a problem.
Vu TanD151
Prospective Students

by Vu TanD151 Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Dear Experts,

I found these sentences in OG.

[redacted]

It seems that all "due to" here modify actions and all can not be replaced by "caused by". What am I getting wrong here?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:07 am

first, you are NEVER allowed to quote the OG on this forum.
welcome to the forum -- but, please familiarize yourself with the forum rules before posting. thank you.

__

second, you're quoting random sentences from parts of the OG **OTHER** than sentence correction!

this should be clear enough, but... do not go around applying SC rules to sentences from OTHER parts of the book!
the SC sentences are VERY extensively edited -- GMAC literally spends thousands of dollars on the editing/proofreading of EACH SC question.
clearly, random individual sentences in OTHER parts of the book are not edited to the same standards.

do not apply SC reasoning to anything other than SC material!