Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
namurad

Due to Vs Because of

by namurad Wed May 07, 2008 1:40 pm

Chapter 6 Parallelism -

Because of his intolerant attitude, that politician always seems to be attacking the poor.

Shouldn't the sentence start with "Due to" instead of "Because of"?

"Due to" is used to describe a noun whereas "Because of" is used to describe a verb phrase. Here "attitude" is being described.
Vjn

by Vjn Wed May 07, 2008 2:50 pm

My small rule for the usage of 'due to'
I use 'caused by' to replace the 'due to' and verify whether the sentence makes any sense.
Caused by his intolerant ...does not make good sense does it.
rfernandez
Course Students

by rfernandez Thu May 15, 2008 5:44 pm

Because of his intolerant attitude, that politician always seems to be attacking the poor.

Shouldn't the sentence start with "Due to" instead of "Because of"?

"Due to" is used to describe a noun whereas "Because of" is used to describe a verb phrase. Here "attitude" is being described.

Actually, "because of" modifies the verb "seems." Why does the politician seem to be attacking the poor? Because of his intolerant attitude. So, you're right that "because of" modifies verbs, and that's exactly what it's doing here.

"Due to" does modify nouns, but it's typically used after the verb "to be."
For example, "The team's win today was due to better conditioning."

Rey
mygmat800

by mygmat800 Sun May 18, 2008 2:19 pm

thanks Rey :)
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon May 26, 2008 11:34 am

Agreed - nice explanation. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
sangeethmani
Students

Re: Due to Vs Because of

by sangeethmani Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:36 pm

I have a small doubt here.. Isnt the creation on Because of .., that create a sentence fragment with no main clause. Could you please explain?

please help as I am really confused with this.. Because of is a phrase and what follows that is a clause.. Is that why this sentence is correct?
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:54 pm

I hate to have to tell you this, but your post is so riddled with grammatical and punctuation errors that it is impossible to tell what you are asking. Can you try again, and be sure to proofread your post before sending it?
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
as2764
Course Students

Re:

by as2764 Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:56 am

rfernandez Wrote:Actually, "because of" modifies the verb "seems." Why does the politician seem to be attacking the poor? Because of his intolerant attitude. So, you're right that "because of" modifies verbs, and that's exactly what it's doing here.

"Due to" does modify nouns, but it's typically used after the verb "to be."
For example, "The team's win today was due to better conditioning."

Rey
[/quote]

expanding on Rey's idea...

'because of' answers WHY questions:

sample 1-'Because of his intolerant attitude, that politician always seems to be attacking the poor.'
Why does the politician seem to be attacking the poor?
>> because of his intolerant attitude

sample 2-'The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased ....'
Why have the wildfires become an ongoing threat?
>> because of drought and booming population density

'due to' answers WHAT questions:

sample 1-'The team's win today was due to better conditioning'
What was the cause of the team's win today?
OR
What was the team's win today due to?
>> better conditioning (noun)

Ashish
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.
ChrisB
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by ChrisB Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Ashish,

Great explanation and I agree completely!

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Brusznicki
MGMAT Instructor
Chicago, IL
rohansharmaster
Students

by rohansharmaster Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 am

Dear Friends,

one tip that will be useful to people like me,who have struggled to understand the distinction:

Due To:This phrase modifies adjectives/adjectival phrases.
for example : His failure is due to his laziness.

Because of : This phrase modifies the verb.
for example : He failed because of his laziness.

Cheers,
Rohan
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:01 am

thanks!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
ningli_21
Students

by ningli_21 Tue May 22, 2012 9:10 pm

rohansharmaster Wrote:Dear Friends,

one tip that will be useful to people like me,who have struggled to understand the distinction:

Due To:This phrase modifies adjectives/adjectival phrases.
for example : His failure is due to his laziness.

Because of : This phrase modifies the verb.
for example : He failed because of his laziness.

Cheers,
Rohan

I actually have a concern about this rule when applied to a MAGMAT verbal question:

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

Should the underlined section be 'due to' or 'because of' ? drought and booming population density are noun and adjectives so shouldn't it be 'due to' instead 'because of'?

Please advise. Thanks
as2764
Course Students

by as2764 Wed May 23, 2012 8:05 am

ningli_21 Wrote:I actually have a concern about this rule when applied to a MAGMAT verbal question:

The number of acres destroyed by wildfires, which have become an ongoing threat due to drought and booming population density, has increased dramatically over the past several years, prompting major concern among local politicians.

Should the underlined section be 'due to' or 'because of' ? drought and booming population density are noun and adjectives so shouldn't it be 'due to' instead 'because of'?

Please advise. Thanks

it should be "because of." we need a modifier for the effect of the cause, which is the beginning of the sentence. and the beginning of the sentence is an action/event. to my explanation few posts above, MGMAT instructors also agreed to this. "The wildfires have become an ongoing threat" is describing an action/event; something has happened "because of" drought and booming population density. Had it been, "The ongoing threat of wildfires is ______ drought and booming population density," then "due to" would be an appropriate "fill in the blank," since the sentence begins with a noun, "ongoing threat," to be modified. HTH
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:27 pm

I agree with Ashish!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
as2764
Course Students

by as2764 Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:03 am

thanks, Jamie. it's always good to have your perspective!
Ashish