problems from mba.com
tarun.urmate
Students

Re: GMATPREP2- VERBAL 10

by tarun.urmate Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Ron,

adding to what ruoxueshe asked:

In case the option C is like this

C.shots that was sent by swift messenger took four days to reach New York City and another eleven days

I have read many threads. Almost everyone said choice C is wrong because that...modify shots instead of news.
But in Manhattan 12th edition chapter 12 "modifiers: exceptions to the touch rule" it says "a mission critical modifier falls between. Example: He had a way of dodging opponents that impressed the scouts. that can modify the entire noun phrase so it's right

will then option C be correct ?

Can you explain how to distinguish in these cases.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 am

tarun.urmate Wrote:will then option C be correct ?

Can you explain how to distinguish in these cases.

if you were to see that option, then, yes, it would technically be fine. the existing correct answer has a much more natural order of modifiers, but, in the (extremely unlikely) event you were to see something like that, it would be correct.

as for how to assign that kind of modifier, that's the beauty of the english language (and of languages in general) -- there is no hard rule! the modifier is allowed to do both things; if either interpretation resonates with common sense, then it's correct.
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Wed May 14, 2014 5:13 am

Hi Ron,
need your help :)

1. can i eliminate B simply because of redundancy caused by "also another"?

2. is it correct to say "the news of shots that was sent by messenger took 4 days to reach NYC, and another 11 days to reach Charleston." ?

3. imo, the use of "in order to" in B is not ideal. may i know the differences among the following 3 sentences?

a. I went to Paris to learn French.
b. I went to Paris in order to learn French.
c. I went to Paris with the intention of learning French.

hard for non-native speaker like me to tell the nuance.

DOMO ARIGATO
Tadashi
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 15, 2014 9:01 am

Tadashi Wrote:H1. can i eliminate B simply because of redundancy caused by "also another"?

Yes.

2. is it correct to say "the news of shots that was sent by messenger took 4 days to reach NYC, and another 11 days to reach Charleston." ?

Also yes.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 15, 2014 9:01 am

3. imo, the use of "in order to" in B is not ideal. may i know the differences among the following 3 sentences?

It's actually wrong. "In order to" is only used for the purpose of a person's (or animal's) actions.

Here you're dealing with "took (TIME PERIOD) to (VERB)". This is just an idiomatic structure; it has nothing to do with purpose or intention.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 15, 2014 9:17 am

a. I went to Paris to learn French.
b. I went to Paris in order to learn French.

These two are very similar. In most situations, you can use them interchangeably.

- "In order to xxx" always describes the subject+action of whatever it's attached to.

- If "to VERB" is part of another idiom or construction, there might be two different meanings.
E.g.,
I hired a lawyer in order to deal with troublesome clients.
--> I'm the one dealing with the clients, but I hired a lawyer to help me.
I hired a lawyer to deal with troublesome clients.
--> The lawyer is going to deal with the clients.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 15, 2014 9:20 am

Here are some more differences between "to+verb" and "in order to + verb". (This is by no means an exhaustive list, or even a particularly good list; it's just a list of whatever I could discover by thinking about the issue for a few minutes.)

"- "In order to + verb" is more appropriate to describe preparatory activities, while "to+verb" is more appropriate for things that are components of an action itself. (This is where the "order" comes from, by the way"”it's a sequence of preparation and then execution.)
E.g.,
In order to run a marathon, one must start training several months in advance.
"Training several months in advance" is not actually part of running a marathon; it's a preparatory activity.

To run a marathon, one must begin at a relatively slow pace.
This is part of the actual running process.

"- "In order to" often suggests that something is essential"”i.e., that, had such an action not been taken, that the consequence would not have occurred.
E.g.,
I took some pills to stay awake.
Here, we know the writer's intention, but we don't know whether the pills were absolutely necessary"”i.e., the writer might have stayed awake without them.
I took some pills in order to stay awake.
This seems to imply a degree of certainty that the writer would have fallen asleep without the pills.

Obviously, the GMAT will never test anything like this. But you asked.
(:
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 15, 2014 9:21 am

c. I went to Paris with the intention of learning French.

This one is rather different from the others. It doesn't imply a direct purpose; it just indicates something the writer was thinking of doing while doing something else.

E.g.,
I headed to Las Vegas with the intention of shopping for luxury goods.
--> This person wanted to shop while in Vegas, but there is no implication that the actual purpose of the trip was for shopping.
E.g., if someone were headed to Vegas on business, but just wanted to shop a lot while there, this sentence would work.

("I headed to Las Vegas to shop for luxury goods", on the other hand, specifically identifies shopping as the primary purpose of the trip.)
Tadashi
Forum Guests

by Tadashi Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 am

2 examples made by me

a. Japan promotes excessive yen depreciation with the intention of boosting export sales.

[WRONG SENTENCE]

my analysis: the subject japan itself can not strengthen export sales. it's yen depreciation that actually boosts export sales.

b. Japan promotes excessive yen depreciation in order to boost export sales.

[WRONG SENTENCE AGAIN]

my analysis: the subject japan itself can not boost export sales. it's yen depreciation that actually boosts export sales.

Need your comments on my 2 examples.
Thanks Ron.
Tadashi.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 8:08 am

Both of those sentences are perfectly logical.

"With the intention..." and "in order to..." express intentions. (The former, in fact, literally contains the word "intention"!) So, the subject should be whichever person or entity has those intentions.
In both cases, Japan itself has the intention to do something. So, both sentences work.
AbhilashM94
Students

by AbhilashM94 Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:29 am

A. shots, which were sent by swift messenger, took four days in reaching New York City as well as another additional eleven days
which modifying shots

B. shots that was sent by swift messenger took four days in order to reach New York City, and also another eleven days
that modifying shots

C. shots that were sent by swift messenger took four days to reach New York City and another eleven days
that modifying shots

D. shots took four days by swift messenger in order to reach New York City and another eleven days in addition
wordy

E. shots took four days by swift messenger to reach New York City and another eleven days
right

Is my logic correct?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:48 pm

• Most of this is already covered in the thread.

• "Wordy" isn't actually an error (although it can be used fairly reliably as a guessing method, in instances where you fail to find an actual error). Each wrong answer will have something actually wrong with it.

So...
Please read the entire thread before posting.
– If you still have questions after reading the entire thread, please ask specific questions.

Thanks.
PunyataA53
Students

by PunyataA53 Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:28 am

I didn't understand , as to, what is the problem with choice C.
Ron, can you pl elaborate
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:22 pm

PunyataA53 Wrote:I didn't understand , as to, what is the problem with choice C.
Ron, can you pl elaborate

the major issue is "were".

"news" is singular, so choice (c) appears to state that the shots themselves were sent by swift messenger. that, of course, makes no sense at all.
Chi HoC263
Course Students

by Chi HoC263 Sun May 17, 2015 6:18 am

Hi Ron,

I know answer E is correct. However, I eliminated E at first glance because I feel the highlighted portion should be in a passive voice. So it should be "was taken four days by swift messenger" rather than "took four days by swift messenger".

The whole action for the news to reach New York City and Charleston was carried out by messenger.

Do I think it incorrectly?

Thanks!