Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
mbhusal76

GMATPREP2- VERBAL 10

by mbhusal76 Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:16 am

The first shots of the American Revolution, fired at Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts, were, according to legend, heard around the world, but news of these shots, which were sent by swift messenger, took four days in reaching New York City as well as another additional eleven days to reach Charleston, South Carolina.

A.shots, which were sent by swift messenger, took four days in reaching New York City as well as another additional eleven days

B.shots that was sent by swift messenger took four days in order to reach New York City, and also another eleven days

C.shots that were sent by swift messenger took four days to reach New York City and another eleven days

D.shots took four days by swift messenger in order to reach New York City and another eleven days in addition

E.shots took four days by swift messenger to reach New York City and another eleven days.

I selected c, but the oa is different. Can anyone please explain?
kalps1980
Students

Re: GMATPREP2- VERBAL 10

by kalps1980 Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:25 pm

Is OA E?
agha79
Course Students

by agha79 Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:00 pm

Is the correct Answer "B"

A - i belive is wrong becasue of "which" refrence
C - not to sure. orignally i choose C as well
D & E use passive voice very strangly.

Any help form GMAT Staff?
ritesh.bindal
Students

by ritesh.bindal Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:43 am

E IMO.
2amitprakash
Course Students

by 2amitprakash Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:18 am

For me:
A - wrong
"were" is not correct to use as "news" needs a singular verb.
B - wrong
The second part ", and also..." is missing a right conjuction and subject. Als I think that modifier "that was sent by swift messenger" is made essential and this is not the case - confusing if it is for news or shots (you can determine based on whether it makes any sense or not but huh!).
C - wrong
"were" is not correct to use as "news" needs a singular verb.
D - wrong
use of "another" and "in addition" - plain wordy and little much
E - Seems the best choice
although a little troubled by placement of "by swift messenger" but guess better than other choices.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:50 am

mbhusal76 Wrote:The first shots of the American Revolution, fired at Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts, were, according to legend, heard around the world, but news of these shots, which were sent by swift messenger, took four days in reaching New York City as well as another additional eleven days to reach Charleston, South Carolina.

A.shots, which were sent by swift messenger, took four days in reaching New York City as well as another additional eleven days

B.shots that was sent by swift messenger took four days in order to reach New York City, and also another eleven days

C.shots that were sent by swift messenger took four days to reach New York City and another eleven days

D.shots took four days by swift messenger in order to reach New York City and another eleven days in addition

E.shots took four days by swift messenger to reach New York City and another eleven days.

hi - when you post here, please post the answers to problems. if you want to hide them, post them in white on white (colors are at your right when you post), but do not post problems without answers.

(c) contains "shots that were sent by swift messenger", illogically implying that the shots themselves were sent by swift messenger.

("news" is singular, surprisingly enough)
ruoxueshe
Forum Guests

by ruoxueshe Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:23 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
mbhusal76 Wrote:The first shots of the American Revolution, fired at Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts, were, according to legend, heard around the world, but news of these shots, which were sent by swift messenger, took four days in reaching New York City as well as another additional eleven days to reach Charleston, South Carolina.

hi - when you post here, please post the answers to problems. if you want to hide them, post them in white on white (colors are at your right when you post), but do not post problems without answers.

(c) contains "shots that were sent by swift messenger", illogically implying that the shots themselves were sent by swift messenger.

Sorry to bump this old thread. I have a question here for choice B.
I have read many threads. Almost everyone said choice C is wrong because that...modify shots instead of news.
But in Manhattan 12th edition chapter 12 "modifiers: exceptions to the touch rule" it says "a mission critical modifier falls between. Example: He had a way of dodging opponents that impressed the scouts. that can modify the entire noun phrase so it's right"

I choose B because I think that was sent can modify news of shots.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm confused about this kind of problem for a long time. Thanks a lot.
kvitkod
Students

by kvitkod Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:10 am

What does the modifer "by SWIFT messenger" modify in E?

shots took four days by swift messenger to reach New York City and another eleven days.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 am

if this problem is genuinely from the GMAT PREP software, then there should be a widely published official answer; so far, no one has come forward with one (nor with proof that the problem is from GMAT PREP).

therefore, we will delete this thread within a week if no one does the following:
* post a screenshot (here or at an image hosting website such as postimage.org) to prove that the problem is actually from GMAT PREP;
* post the official answer, per the forum rules.

thanks.
lambandme
Forum Guests

by lambandme Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:12 am

RonPurewal Wrote:if this problem is genuinely from the GMAT PREP software, then there should be a widely published official answer; so far, no one has come forward with one (nor with proof that the problem is from GMAT PREP).

therefore, we will delete this thread within a week if no one does the following:
* post a screenshot (here or at an image hosting website such as postimage.org) to prove that the problem is actually from GMAT PREP;

thanks.

This is a GMAT prep question, I did this question on my prep software before, however I've reset that test so I can not provide a screen shot ,nevertheless, the OA is E.
I got C, would C be right if we change it to "news of shots that was sent by..."?
vaibhav_agarwal2002
Students

by vaibhav_agarwal2002 Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:52 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

Dear ron

"News are coming from all over the places that US is going to suffer big financial issues this year"

tell me news is used rightly in this sentence or not?
vaibhav_agarwal2002
Students

by vaibhav_agarwal2002 Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:58 am

RonPurewal Wrote:if this problem is genuinely from the GMAT PREP software, then there should be a widely published official answer; so far, no one has come forward with one (nor with proof that the problem is from GMAT PREP).

thanks.

Dear ron
http://imageshack.us/f/153/gmatprob.jpg/
aaron.1choi
Students

Re: * GMATPREP2- VERBAL 10

by aaron.1choi Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:31 pm

news is singular so "were" should be singular, ie. was

wordy and redundant, unnecessary

plural/singular subject/verb agreement
again, "in order" is wordy, redundant and unnecessary. "in addition" is used improperly. Although this does have the correct structure of the idiomatic "in addition to", it is used incorrectly. "in addition to" should begin a phrase/complete thought; should start a sentence, right after conjunction or comma.
changes verb to active tense, bypassing plural/singular agreement problem (TRICKY!). correct, concise sentence. For those of you having issue with modifier "by swift messenger", this is modifying "four days". eg. the mail took four days by post to arrive. "by post" lets us know what type of mailing method took four days

this is what i did to tackle this problem and hopefully these explanations help.
aaron.1choi
Students

Re: * GMATPREP2- VERBAL 10

by aaron.1choi Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:44 pm

does anyone know when using "in order to" is acceptable and not wordy? or is it even wordy?
(but even if "in order" could be acceptable here, (b) has "also another", a wordy construction compared to simply "another")

seems like "in order to:" is a british (formal english) thing, and the gmat discriminates against, or rather, distinguishes american usage from british.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:11 pm

ruoxueshe Wrote:I have read many threads. Almost everyone said choice C is wrong because that...modify shots instead of news.
But in Manhattan 12th edition chapter 12 "modifiers: exceptions to the touch rule" it says "a mission critical modifier falls between. Example: He had a way of dodging opponents that impressed the scouts. that can modify the entire noun phrase so it's right"

yeah, but "news" is singular. (sorry, you just have to memorize that one.) so that modification doesn't work, because "were" is a plural verb.

I choose B because I think that was sent can modify news of shots.

(b) has "in order to", which is incorrect.
"IN ORDER TO" specifies the GOAL or PURPOSE of an action.

i took four days to finish the project -- correct
i took four days in order to finish the project -- incorrect
here, the second version is incorrect because "a finished project" is not a goal; it just describes what took four days.

i took four days off work in order to finish the project -- correct
in this case, my purpose in taking four days off work -- i.e., the goal that i hoped to achieve by doing so -- was to finish the project.

i was supposed to finish the project in one day, but i took four days in order to produce it more carefully
same sort of thing.