Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
shobuj40

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe

by shobuj40 Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:25 pm

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.
A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in.
D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are.
E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in.
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by JonathanSchneider Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Do you have a specific question in regard to the problem you've posted here? I won't just give a full explanation of everything involved. But I will try to answer any specifics you may want to discuss...
shobuj40

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Euro

by shobuj40 Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:19 am

an overwhelming proportion of women works

here of is the middle men but the verb is works

OA is : C

by Guest Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Why is answer choice B incorrect and answer choice C correct?

Thanks ~
jonh27

by jonh27 Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm not sure why A is wrong.

Isn't it more idiomatic to say, "many of which are in middle management and light industry". (Actually, I'd rather say "many of WHOM, but this wasn't an option)

Instead, the answer is C, which says "many of them in middle management and light industry". To me, the placement of "them" sounds awkward.
bear&bull

by bear&bull Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:46 pm

A is wrong because which cannot be used to refer to people .It (which ) can be used to refer to things

I am no grammar expert . However I will give it a try

proportion can be singular or plural

When proportion is attached to a prepositional phrase such as of women and men , the phrase should be followed by plural verb

A large proportion gmat takers are working really hard .
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:35 am

choice (a) should be an easy elimination. you can never use "which" to refer to human beings. this principle has zero exceptions.

--

"an overwhelming proportion of ..." is a quantity expression. most such expressions, although the words themselves are singular, take grammatically plural forms because they represent quantities that are clearly plural in number.
for instance, percentages, proportions, fractions, and the like fall into this category.
one-third of all the students are chinese --> correct. it'd be ridiculous to write "one-third of all the students is chinese".
on the other hand.
one out of three students is chinese --> also correct. in this case, you're literally saying one student (out of three), so, there you go, singular.

there are also other miscellaneous quantity words that are ostensibly singular but are used in the plural, such as "a dozen", "a trio", and so on. same deal.

in fact, "a lot" is probably the single most common quantity word in (somewhat less formal) writing, and that follows the same prescription: a lot of people were there. you would not, by any stretch of the imagination, write a lot of people was there.

--
urooj.khan

Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe

by urooj.khan Sun May 31, 2009 6:48 pm

hmmn.... could someone please help me understand why "as in much..." is the correct way to start this part of the sentence...

i felt that "like much of..." would be the right way to go... but i'm clearly missing something
kramacha1979
Students

by kramacha1979 Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:05 pm

Here in the Q Between choice C and E , since this is a comparison we need as followed by a clause ..which is not the case

Why is E wrong ?
hmgmat
Forum Guests

by hmgmat Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:08 pm

I think that I have seen somewhere in OG that "the proportion of [plural noun]" is considered singular.

I am a little confused when "the proportion of [plural noun]" is considered singular, and when is not.
devinderpsingh
Students

by devinderpsingh Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:37 am

can someone please explain how to find whether as is used for clause or not.

In this question, I thought as is not followed by clause, so eliminated a,b and c

confused.. please help
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:33 am

urooj.khan Wrote:hmmn.... could someone please help me understand why "as in much..." is the correct way to start this part of the sentence...

i felt that "like much of..." would be the right way to go... but i'm clearly missing something

if you open a sentence with "like X, ..." then the following two things must be true:
1 * X is a noun (or something else that can function as a noun, such as a gerund, noun-type phrase, etc). in other words, X should not be a clause
2 * you INTEND a COMPARISON between X and the SUBJECT of the following sentence.

if these 2 things are not true, you can't use "like".

in choice (e), the second of these is not true, because the SUBJECT is not "hungary". the subject is "an overwhelming proportion of women". that's not a sensible comparison.

--

in particular, you can't use "like" with prepositional phrases. in that case, you have to use "as", as in the correct answer.
(hey, i did it in that sentence, too. and not even on purpose. sweeeeeeet)

--

also note that (e) is a run-on sentence, since the part starting with "many are in..." is a sentence in its own right. you can't have two complete sentences (independent clauses) linked together with only a comma.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:36 am

kramacha1979 Wrote:Here in the Q Between choice C and E , since this is a comparison we need as followed by a clause ..which is not the case

you can also use "as" with prepositional phrases. see the post above this one.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:42 am

hmgmat Wrote:I think that I have seen somewhere in OG that "the proportion of [plural noun]" is considered singular.

I am a little confused when "the proportion of [plural noun]" is considered singular, and when is not.

it depends on MEANING.
all you have to do is THINK VERY LITERALLY.

if the PROPORTION ITSELF did something, then "proportion" itself is the subject, and you use a singular verb:

the proportion of filipinos living in milpitas has increased --> it's the actual proportion that has increased (filipinos can't "increase")

a large proportion of the filipinos in milpitas work in san jose --> the filipinos themselves work (a proportion can't work)

that's really all there is to it.
hmgmat
Forum Guests

by hmgmat Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:47 am

Got it.
Thanks =)