Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: India, like Italy and China, has no single dominant cuisine:

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:13 am

...but you quoted my words about 'don't edit the answer choices'.

i'm still not seeing the connection between 'don't edit the answer options' and the whole regional-influences thing.
did you accidentally quote the wrong text?
harika.apu
Students

by harika.apu Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:56 am

RonPurewal Wrote:...but you quoted my words about 'don't edit the answer choices'.

i'm still not seeing the connection between 'don't edit the answer options' and the whole regional-influences thing.
did you accidentally quote the wrong text?

Yes Ron.Sorry i accidentally did it .
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:43 pm

ok. if there are any more questions, fire away.
RachitS713
Students

by RachitS713 Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:13 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:Essentially correct, yes.

The pronoun problem is worse than you might think. E.g., even if the problem said "... each a product of its regional influences", it would still be wrong.

"Regional influences" are vague forces—basically, like the culinary culture of an entire geographical area. These forces don't emanate from, or belong to, any particular person or thing, so it's impossible for any construction of the form "its/their/____'s influences" to make sense here.

Hello Ron,

I have 2 questions:

1) Each a product of regional forces - Is this an absolute phrase?
2) I have a difficulty understanding why 'its' would be outright wrong here - Is it because a product cannot have its regional influences acting upon it??? For some reason I just cannot convince myself :cry:

Help appreciated.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:20 pm

i'm sorry, but i don't know the grammar terms. (there's no way they can help you solve SC problems anyway, so there's little sense in wasting your time thinking about them.)

the part you've already quoted is my best attempt to explain the issue with "its". it's no big deal anyway, since that choice can also be eliminated for other reasons.
FuM520
Students

by FuM520 Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:36 am

RonPurewal Wrote:i'm sorry, but i don't know the grammar terms. (there's no way they can help you solve SC problems anyway, so there's little sense in wasting your time thinking about them.)

the part you've already quoted is my best attempt to explain the issue with "its". it's no big deal anyway, since that choice can also be eliminated for other reasons.

Dear Ron

I noticed that the sentence uses such a structure:
from the fiery vegetarian dishes of the south to the Portuguese-influenced Goan cooking of the west, to the more familiar Mogul food of the north.
And there isn't any conjunction between two "to"

I am quite confused about this problem, is it just a mistake made by GMAC ?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:04 pm

No, the structure 'from ... to ... to ...' is totally fine. Read this post: https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... from-to-to
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:50 am

Hi Experts - how woud you eliminate (E) ?

Also meaning wise, what does the underline refer back to ?

I actually thought the underline meaning-wise should refer back to INDIAN FOOD (The subject of the clause)

What is the "product" of regional influences ? INDIAN FOOD is the product of Regional influences

I am not sure how "different styles of cooking" can be the product of regional influences.
Whit Garner
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Whit Garner Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:22 pm

ORIGINAL QUESTION:
India, like Italy and China, has no single dominant cuisine: Indian food comprises many different styles of cooking, with each a product of their regional influences, from the fiery vegetarian dishes of the south to the Portuguese-influenced Goan cooking of the west, to the more familiar Mogul food of the north.

a) with each a product of their
b) with each as a product of its
c) each products of their
d) each a product of
e) each products of

JbhB682 Wrote:Hi Experts - how woud you eliminate (E) ?

Answer C and E are wrong for the same reason: "each" is singular but "products" is plural. They would need to look more like answer choice D.

JbhB682 Wrote:Also meaning wise, what does the underline refer back to ? I actually thought the underline meaning-wise should refer back to INDIAN FOOD (The subject of the clause) What is the "product" of regional influences ? INDIAN FOOD is the product of Regional influences. I am not sure how "different styles of cooking" can be the product of regional influences.

In this context, "product" means "result," so each different style is the result of the influences within the region in which it developed.

I hope this helps!

:)
Whit
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw