Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Lenders and building managers

by RonPurewal Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:32 am

i don't know any of those terms, so there's no way i'll be able to penetrate that question.

the best way to answer that question, though, is not to answer it at all—because it's taking something simple and making it unimaginably complicated.

i wrote about this here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... tml#p40397

basically, these constructions are EXTREMELY easy to recognize, and they have ZERO effect on the mechanics of the following stuff. so, the best practice here is
1/ recognize,
2/ ignore.
seven
Students

by seven Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Suapplle Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:
lawrence Wrote:[size=18]SC from PREP2.

Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city report that because of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased, apartment buildings are being rehabilitated at a pace unseen for a decade.

(A) of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased
(B) of the renewed rental market in the area, as well as the willingness of banks to lend money increasing
(C) of the renewed rental market in the area and the increased willingness of banks to lend money
(D) the rental market in the area renewed and the willingness of banks to lend money increased, therefore
(E) the rental market in the area was being renewed and banks were increasingly willing to lend money, so

OA is C,
but D looks also OK?

what's the difference between C and D?

Thanks in advance.[/size]

lawrence - you don't need to specify the size of your text in every post, especially not multiple times. thanks.

--

before analyzing any of the choices, note that you can totally ignore the words "Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city report that". you can think of this as just introductory text; the grammar of the remaining part of the sentence is exactly the same as it would be if it were standalone.

--

there are lots of things wrong with choice (d).
first of all, you can't say "because the rental market in the area renewed". you can't use a participle in this sort of context without an actual verb - for instance, "because the rental market in the area was renewed".
but it makes more logical sense to use "renewed" as an adjective here, anyway: "because of the renewed rental market..."

unlike "increased", "renewed" can't be an intransitive verb: in other words, you can't say "X renewed". intsead, if you're going to use "renewed" as a verb, you have to say "Y renewed X", where Y is the agent that caused the renewal and X was the thing that was renewed. (none of the answer choices uses this structure.)

--

you also can't say "because [sentence], therefore [sentence]".

you have 2 viable options:
(1) "because [sentence], [sentence]" (or "because of [noun/phrase], [sentence]")
(2) "[sentence]; therefore, [sentence]" -- note that you CANNOT write "(sentence), therefore (sentence)". placing "therefore" after a comma is strictly british usage.

hi,Ron,I don't understand why "because[sentence],therefore[sentence]" is incorrect,as I see,therefore is an adverb, not a conjunction,the former is a subordinate clause,the latter is main clause,it is not a run--on sentence or two subordinate clauses,why can not they put together,please clarify ,thank you very much!

hi Ron, i have exactly the same question. Is it because "because" and "therefore" are redundant in meaning?
thanks a lot!!!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:18 am

Ron's given plenty of options to eliminate answer choice D.

Like Ron, I'm not a professional grammarian, so I don't know the precise rules for combining adverbs and conjunctions. However, I do know that we don't use the words 'because' and 'therefore' in like this: "Because she was cold, therefore she wore a hat."

If that sentence sounds okay to you, then just remember that, for GMAT, it's not correct. I would advise you not to get too concerned with analyzing the underlying grammar.