Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:19 am

anoo.anand Wrote:just one question :: when do we use JUST LIKE and LIKE ?

on the gmat, i doubt that you'll ever pick "just like" if it's placed against "like".
gmatwork
Course Students

by gmatwork Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:01 am

question -

as a general rule - "as" is used to compare clauses
"like" is used to compare noun/noun phrases

Can there be a situation in which "as" can be used to compare noun/noun phrase and still considered grammatically correct?

Also, in parallelism do we need to repeat article -"the" in a parallel structure. Explanation for choice A says that article "the" needs to be repeated to have a proper parallel structure.....Is this always true for a parallel construct for articles - a, an, the - I used to think we don't need to repeat helping verbs and articles in a parallel structure....we can just consider them part of the second parallel part when one (an article or a helping verb) appears in the first parallel part of the sentence, repetition is not required to be parallel.....but this does not seem to be the case here.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:49 pm

erpriyankabishnoi Wrote:question -

as a general rule - "as" is used to compare clauses
"like" is used to compare noun/noun phrases

Can there be a situation in which "as" can be used to compare noun/noun phrase and still considered grammatically correct?

Also, in parallelism do we need to repeat article -"the" in a parallel structure. Explanation for choice A says that article "the" needs to be repeated to have a proper parallel structure.....Is this always true for a parallel construct for articles - a, an, the - I used to think we don't need to repeat helping verbs and articles in a parallel structure....we can just consider them part of the second parallel part when one (an article or a helping verb) appears in the first parallel part of the sentence, repetition is not required to be parallel.....but this does not seem to be the case here.

You would not use "as" to compare noun phrases (by which I assume you mean a noun and modifiers describing that noun). If you have an example I am happy to take another look.

This is tricky. Parallelism involves putting two separate items together, versus connecting with a simple "and". "and" without an article would show that I am lumping the things together in sort of a group; an article shows that I have two distinct, possible unrelated items. For example:

"The earthquake, the tsunami, and the real estate collapse contributed to the slowing economy."
In this case, the three elements are unrelated to each other but are all contributing to the slowing economy.

"The dogs, cats, and mice played well together."
In this case, dogs, cats, and mice are separate creatures but made up part of a larger group; here we have a bunch of animals playing together.

I hope that this helps! :-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
alwaysudit
Students

by alwaysudit Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:52 am

The explanation given for option B reads as follows
The construction that follows "as" is "with other performance indicators," a prepositional phrase; there is no other prepositional phrase to which this construction can be parallel.
Can someone please elaborate this explanation. Why is the prepositional phrase need to be made parallel.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 pm

alwaysudit Wrote:The explanation given for option B reads as follows
The construction that follows "as" is "with other performance indicators," a prepositional phrase; there is no other prepositional phrase to which this construction can be parallel.
Can someone please elaborate this explanation. Why is the prepositional phrase need to be made parallel.

Is the question from your test the same as the one here? I don't see the phrase "with other performance indicators" in the original post's question. We might have updated this question or someone forgot to type a word, but you might need to repost your text in order for us to help you out here.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
NehaM981
Students

by NehaM981 Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:11 pm

hi

Sorry for bumping in the thread .

Original question is =

The growth rate of a startup business, as other performance indicators, generally increases with both the time and resources dedicated to the endeavor.

The growth rate of a startup business, as other performance indicators, generally increases with both the time and

As with other performance indicators, the growth rate of a startup business generally increases with both the time and

Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a startup business generally increases both with the time and

As other performance indicators, the growth rate of a startup business generally increases both with the time and the

The growth rate of a startup business, like other performance indicators, generally increases with both the time and the

Here in c "As with other performance indicators, the growth rate of a startup business generally increases" this part is right because can be used for comparison in prepositional phrases ??

Am I correct ??

Thanks