Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Vizay K

Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a

by Vizay K Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and resources dedicated to the endeavor.
A: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and
B: Just like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and
C: Like other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of
D: As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and
E: As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of

Correct answer for this question is E.
It is mentioned in the explanation that resources is a countable noun, and so 'number of' should be used instead of 'amount of'. I thought 'resources' can be countable as well as uncountable. And when I did a search in Google for 'amount of resources', I see that it is being used very commonly as I expected. So how can I know that 'resources' here is countable and not uncountable?

Thank you
Vizay
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:21 pm

The best test for whether a noun is countable:

one resource
two resources
three resources

Does this make sense? Yes. So it's countable.

Contrast this with time:
one time
two times
three times

This doesn't make sense - not when we want to use the word time in the sense that it's being used in this sentence. (That is, I'm not trying to say "I went swimming two times." I'm trying to say "the amount of time spent...")

Also, just because you find something all over the Internet does not mean it's grammatically correct. I can tell you ten major grammar errors that show up everywhere online and that you hear people say every single day!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
suyash

by suyash Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:31 am

stacey you are too good.what an explanation!thanks.
Anon

by Anon Thu May 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi Stacey,

Would choice C be correct if we remove "ARE"

C: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of

Please explain..

Thanks in advance
Anon
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 19, 2008 5:22 am

Anon Wrote:Hi Stacey,

Would choice C be correct if we remove "ARE"

C: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of

Please explain..

Thanks in advance
Anon

that would be correct, because 'like' would then be attached to a NOUN (performance indicators), rather than to a CLAUSE as it is in the incorrect answer choice (c).

this version is arguably better than the correct answer choice (e) - after all, it's more concise, and, in my opinion, more natural - but remember that the game is to choose the correct answer, not to conjure the hypothetical perfect answer.
cutlass

by cutlass Mon May 26, 2008 11:41 pm

The explanation to this question says that 'as' is being used to compare two verb phrases -- as other .. are, growth rate is.. '. Although my grammatical intuition says this is ok, I just wanted to make sure 'as' can be used to compare verb phrases in addition to clauses.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed May 28, 2008 5:43 pm

cutlass Wrote:The explanation to this question says that 'as' is being used to compare two verb phrases -- as other .. are, growth rate is.. '. Although my grammatical intuition says this is ok, I just wanted to make sure 'as' can be used to compare verb phrases in addition to clauses.

those are clauses (they have their own subjects and verbs).
Ali

by Ali Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:04 pm

Can someone tell me why its E and not C?
Can't we use "Like other performance indicators are"? why not?
Ali

by Ali Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Ali Wrote:Can someone tell me why its E and not C?
Can't we use "Like other performance indicators are"? why not?

I think I got it...
'Like' is used to comare two Nouns and 'As' is used to compare two clauses
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by JonathanSchneider Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm

always ncie to see a forum poster answer their own question - shows good critical thinking : )
you guys make me proud.
netcaesar

by netcaesar Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:59 pm

One question:

"Amount of" can only modify UNCOUNTABLE names?

Then an amount of dollars is wrong, for example....
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:45 pm

yep - you'd have a number of dollars and an amount of money. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
gagansb
Students

Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a

by gagansb Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:56 am

Hi,
I'd just like to ask whether the following phrases are correct :

abundant resources
lot of resources

Even i selected A) since i never realized that resource should be treated as countable..
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:45 pm

gagansb Wrote:Hi,
I'd just like to ask whether the following phrases are correct :

abundant resources
lot of resources

Even i selected A) since i never realized that resource should be treated as countable..

yes. you can actually use "abundant" in front of things that are either countable or uncountable.

"a lot of" (used to mean a large number or amount) is too colloquial to be correct in formal written english. that's strictly spoken language.
of course, if you have a problem that uses "a lot" in a literal sense (i.e., the machine produces a lot of items - as in "one production lot"), then it's fine. but not just in the sense of a large quantity.
anoo.anand
Students

by anoo.anand Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:16 pm

just one question :: when do we use JUST LIKE and LIKE ?